Service Pack 3, not enough space to install

Reaction score
Here is a confusing issue that I hope someone might know the answer to:

I have just successfully installed XP onto my MACBOOK PRO. I used 32 GB of the overall 110 GB of space as a partition. I have installed 3D Studio MAX, so installing things work. I have currently 26.6GB of free space in FAT32 HD format. I have just downloaded Service Pack 3 from the windows update , at 60+mb, and it says that I have not enough free space to install it. Am I missing something?

The only thing I can think of is that Bootcamp only allows you to use the updates that it provides and not what microsoft provides, even if it is an OS update.

Could someone help or is this just a bug?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never download a MS service pack and then allow the install to progress from the internet. Instead, download the entire pack and install from your HD.

Go here:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.html

The download will be around 330 Mb. Shouldn't take long if you have a fast connection.

I updated my XP SP 2 to 3 from both Boot Camp and within VMWare Fusion. It should work for you also.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I believe the problem stems from FAT32. FAT32 is limited to a 4GB single file size, this wouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of Windows XP machines which are running NTFS.

OP
R
Reaction score
Never download a MS service pack and then allow the install to progress from the internet. Instead, download the entire pack and install from your HD.

Go here:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.html

The download will be around 330 Mb. Shouldn't take long if you have a fast connection.

I updated my XP SP 2 to 3 from both Boot Camp and within VMWare Fusion. It should work for you also.

Regards.

Just tried that and it comes up with the same error message that I have not got enough space and I need 4mb additional space.

I believe the problem stems from FAT32. FAT32 is limited to a 4GB single file size, this wouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of Windows XP machines which are running NTFS.

So are you telling me this does not work because I formated as a FAT32? I cannot see this as been true because the download itself was only 350mb, so the 4GB limit or a single file cannot come into play here.

This OS is a new copy and has been installed on a clean partition. I actually reformatted my MAC OSX too just so things would go smoothly. There must be something making this not work, any ideas anyone?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So are you telling me this does not work because I formated as a FAT32? I cannot see this as been true because the download itself was only 350mb, so the 4GB limit or a single file cannot come into play here.

Sure it can. The contents of that service pack are compressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you applied the Apple bootcamp update for SP3?

It's a pre-requisite before you install xpsp3.

In this instance it's not a FAT32 issue. I've used both the online and standalone updates without issue on FAT32 based installations.

If this doesn't work it could be to do with your boot directory setting in the XP registry it's a problem that several people are reporting:

As with any registry 'tweak' backup first etc etc.

1. Click Start - Run - Type “regedit” and press enter.

2. Navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

3. In the right pane, Right-click and select New - String value

4. Name it as “BootDir” and set its value to “C:\

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you applied the Applebootcamp update for SP3?

In this instance it's not a FAT32 issue. I've used both the online and standalone updates without issue on FAT32 based installations.

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

To the OP: If you still want to convert to NTFS, you can do so without disruption to the OS. Open a command prompt and type:

Code:
convert c: /FS:NTFS

NTFS is far more efficient than FAT32 and less prone to fragmentation. The only downside is that Mac OS X only has native read support for NTFS. So, if you need to read/write to it, you'll need a 3rd party tool.

OP
R
Reaction score

If this doesn't work it could be to do with your boot directory setting in the XP registry it's a problem that several people are reporting:

2. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

I have no installed that update. Never knew it exsisted... I will try that before resorting to messing with the registry.

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

To the OP: If you still want to convert to NTFS, you can do so without disruption to the OS. Open a command prompt and type:

Code:
convert c: /FS:NTFS

NTFS is far more efficient than FAT32 and less prone to fragmentation. The only downside is that Mac OS X only has native read support for NTFS. So, if you need to read/write to it, you'll need a 3rd party tool.

This was one of the main reasons for oing FAT32. I only have 1 working back-up hard drive and I found being able to access both partitions through OSX was a plus. I will have to think about this one before doing it.

Thanks both!

I will update with what happens.

OP
R
Reaction score
Its sorted now, thanks!

One minor issue before closing the thread. My graphics card shows different statistics when in xp than it is in OSX. In XP's DXDIAG it shows that it has 512mb of ram (which i was well pleased about, but confused), but in OSX it only shows vram as 128mb. Question is, which is correct? I am certain I bought the machine with 128mb (which I am a bit ticked off that apple has released a 256mb version of it...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you tell us what sorted your problem please. It may help others.

mrplow

OP
R
Reaction score
Oh right, well:

If its the service pack issue I just installed the new boot camp patch that was on the apple website and then re-tried installing the package again. So yeah, you had it right with the link you supplied.

So it goes to show guys, make sure everything is updated on your OSX end and also BOOTCAMP. even resort to the Apple website just to make sure everything is up t date!

I do have a new problem now if anyone has a clue what has happened.

You know how the Macbook Pro has those top buttons reserved for brightness, volume, num lock, etc? Well they dont work... I went into the settings of the keyboard and set the thing back to factory settings and it sill does not work! This is on the OSX BTW. XP side works wonderful now (wished the hard drive in general was bigger though...stupid laptops....).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did the buttons ever work? I don't have an MBP here but try holding down the Fn key and pressing them. Do they then work? If so I can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back.

As for the function keys... check system preferences, keyboard & mouse, keyboard tab and look at 'use function keys....' setting

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. I am a fool, it was just a check box on the first tab. I actually prefer it the way it is as I can use proper Functions easy and just hold FN when I wish to use volume or brightness.

Well I think thats it for this topic. If anyone has any ideas to this I would be grateful:

One minor issue before closing the thread. My graphics card shows different statistics when in xp than it is in OSX. In XP's DXDIAG it shows that it has 512mb of ram (which i was well pleased about, but confused), but in OSX it only shows vram as 128mb. Question is, which is correct? I am certain I bought the machine with 128mb (which I am a bit ticked off that apple has released a 256mb version of it...)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure what is going on but I am very sure OSX is giving you the proper info on the VRAM in the card. Not sure why XP is telling you it has 512Megs VRAM.

Reaction score
Can I just add that ntfs writting is possible with macfuse and ntfs3g.

p.s. be aware off all the dottet files you add when writting to it.... then again most ppl have hidden files hidden.

Reaction score
This worked, thanks!

2. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

Thankyou sooooo muchhhh! Exact same problem, perfect solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.