MacBook and printers

Reaction score
I recently bought a MacBook. Also bought HP Photosmart printer
C4200. I cannot connect the printer to the MacBook to print from the INTERNET. Cant have the MODEM and printer connected at same time.
Help, please. Am sure there must be a way. Thank you!
[email protected]

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I recently bought a MacBook. Also bought HP Photosmart printer
C4200. I cannot connect the printer to the MacBook to print from the INTERNET. Cant have the MODEM and printer connected at same time.
Help, please. Am sure there must be a way. Thank you!
[email protected]

Let's see if I understand this correctly. Based on what you said, it sounds like the printer is a network-capable printer. The problem is that your Mac is directly connected to your modem via Ethernet and so you have no place to plug the printer in. Is that right?

OP
S
Reaction score
MacBook and Printer

Thank you for replying and sorry I am late. You are correct - I have no place to plug in the printer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you'll need to do is purchase a device known as a "Wired Router". That will act as the foundation of your network, enabling you to connect and share the Internet amongst multiple devices.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you - just knew I would have to buy something else. At least I will know what to call it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you - just knew I would have to buy something else. At least I will know what to call it.

When you get it, let us know and we can help you set it up. Basically, your modem will plug into the Internet port on the router. Then they'll be four other ports that you can plug your printer and computer into it. You can then use the other 2 ports to hook up other network devices if you ever want to expand your network.

An example of what you need is here. But you don't need to stick with that particular device, there are many other brands that do the same thing. If you print this out and take it to a decent store, they should be able to help you pick out the right thing.

Alternatively, you can buy a "Wireless Router" that does essentially the same thing, but has support for wireless devices, like laptops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.