MBP won't restart in Windows/Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.16 C2D, 15.4" LCD
Hi there. I have a 2.16 C2D, 15.4" MBP and the issue is my laptop won't restart from Windows to Windows, or from Windows to Mac. I always had this problem since I bought my computer. If I try to restart while in Windows, I get the chime and then the screen just stays black. The computer sounds like it's running though.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any sort of fix for this? I know it's not a huge deal but it's still a little annoying.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi there. I have a 2.16 C2D, 15.4" MBP and the issue is my laptop won't restart from Windows to Windows, or from Windows to Mac. I always had this problem since I bought my computer. If I try to restart while in Windows, I get the chime and then the screen just stays black. The computer sounds like it's running though.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any sort of fix for this? I know it's not a huge deal but it's still a little annoying.

Try resetting your PRAM. This is done by pressing and holding Command+Option+P+R immediately after turning the machine on. Continue holding until the system chimes 3 times and then release.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply, cwa107. I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. If I attempt to restart the computer while in Windows I still get a black screen after the chime that never goes away. Tried looking in the Apple support forums and there do seem to be other people with the same problem but no one has found a solution yet as far as I can tell. Can anyone else share some insight?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your reply, cwa107. I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. If I attempt to restart the computer while in Windows I still get a black screen after the chime that never goes away. Tried looking in the Apple support forums and there do seem to be other people with the same problem but no one has found a solution yet as far as I can tell. Can anyone else share some insight?

Just a WAG, O:) but I suspect something is screwed up with the BIOS emulator for the Windows partition. If you can boot from OS X to OS X but not from Win to Win nor Win to OS X, it might be that.

I would backup my Win partition with "WinClone" first and then use the Boot Camp assistant to remove the Win partition and restore the drive to HFS +.

Run Disk Utility and verify the disk first and then re-create the Windows partition using the Boot Camp assistant. Restore Windows using WinClone.
(WinClone is free, BTW) Lots of work and if you really feel industrious, completely reinstall Windows and activate again. :Grimmace:

Regards.

Reaction score
Just a WAG, O:) but I suspect something is screwed up with the BIOS emulator for the Windows partition. If you can boot from OS X to OS X but not from Win to Win nor Win to OS X, it might be that.

I would backup my Win partition with "WinClone" first and then use the Boot Camp assistant to remove the Win partition and restore the drive to HFS +.

Run Disk Utility and verify the disk first and then re-create the Windows partition using the Boot Camp assistant. Restore Windows using WinClone.
(WinClone is free, BTW) Lots of work and if you really feel industrious, completely reinstall Windows and activate again. :Grimmace:

Regards.

Same exact issue with me. I've tried everything. Worked fine in Tiger but after upgrading to Leopard the issue appeared and is unfixable. Full hard drive reformat does not work either. Tried it 3 times.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No solution

Unfortunately using the Winclone method to backup, delete, and restore the Windows partition didn't work. I've reset the PRAM as well and that didn't work either. In the Apple support forums many people have reported the same issue but no one, including Apple has issued a solution.

Reaction score
Hi all, I have the same Mac : 2.16 C2D, 15.4" MBP.
I've got the same issue, i'm running Leopard 10.5.6.

When i'm trying to install Windows XP SP2/Vista, there's nothing to do, on the first reboot the mac goes to a blank screen.

Applecare replace my logical board twice, the left I/O board and my 1 x 1gb memory DIMM.

I've try to format my hard drive completely and full it with zeroes (0).

Still nothing, i've read on a forum that Windows cannot manage the "Power management" of the Macbook pro 2,2 version.

I'll call Customer Service, because Bootcamp already works without problems. I think the last install without issue is about last summer (June 2008). So I will ask for a remplacement.

Stay in touch.

Reaction score
Just speak with Customer Relationship, the agent says there is no problem to replace my Mac, but before he just want to confirm with the engineers that could be an issue with this specific model.

Because he doesn't want to give me a new one and the problem subsist.

He will call me back in few days i think.

Reaction score
My laptop will be replaced. They will ship me the new one, so i'm waiting for the email. Need to sign a paper before.

For people who already have this issue, try to get them replaced the logical board and I/O left board. Try the RAM also.

For my case, the thing that as been helpful is that after the first repair, i went to the Genius Bar to show them the issue (recommended by AppleCare support technician)

On the Apple side, they say it's software related, but on the other, Microsoft says it's an issue with hardware stuff....

Reaction score
My laptop as been replaced, I just received it last friday.
Windows XP is working fine without the previous issue.

To those who have the previous problem, insist AppleCare to replace the logical board, left I/O board and the ram..if the issue persist, the three reparation step is done.

So you can call the customer service to ask for a replacement.

Cheers,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.