buying used 3rd gen. iPod, thoughts?

A

applephish

my first post, yay!
so I'm thinking about buying a "lightly" used 3G 20gb iPod from a friend at work, he's selling it because he wants larger storage capacity. We haven't agreed on a price yet but I think based on what I've seen on ebay it's worth around $300CND which is about 250USD.
I'm not sure how much he's used it but I am wondering, at this point in time have there been any widely experienced problems with the 3rd generation iPods? and what about battery life? I know they go dead after a certain number of charges, should I be worried?
Any bit of advice would be greatly apreciated.

thanks,
ap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
3rd gens are still good

They get around 6-8 hours of battery life depending on how you use it. I have had a 3rd gen running for more than a year and battery is still like it is out of the box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Yeah, 3rd gens are fine, but I'm upgrading to a 4g because the control scheme (clickwheel) is amazing and the increased battery life is nice, too.
As far as that price, though... sounds a little steep to me. You can get brand new 20gb 4g iPod on the Apple Store for Education Online for $270 USD... I'm not sure if you're a student or not, but at $250, I'd just pay the extra $20 and get a new one.
Ask him to drop to $200 USD and then you'd be in business.
Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Agreed, 250 is a bit much...

On the battery issue: You can always a replacement battery fairly cheaply in future if you feel you need it...

OP
A

applephish

I haven't talked to the guy yet but I am curious about the educational discount has anyone here used it? also, if it matters I live in Canada.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I've used it to buy both my PowerBook as well as an iPod and several accessories. You just go to http://www.apple.com/education and follow the appropriate links to see if your university or highschool is eligible (most are). If so, you are allowed into a special online store that gives you apple products at reduced rates. It's a great way to save a couple hundred dollars on a computer or $30 on an iPod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.