Replacing HDD - Can I double triple check this with you guys?

Reaction score
Hi all :)

As per title, I've ordered a larger HDD for my macbook.

Now, I've not synced any of my data (itunes, iphoto, documents etc) with Time Machine, I plan on whipping all of those files over to my external HDD - replacing HDD, reinstalling everything fresh with the 2 mac discs, then I'll import all my files back.

Is that a reasonable process? Is there anything you would or wouldn't necessarily do?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all :)

As per title, I've ordered a larger HDD for my macbook.

Now, I've not synced any of my data (itunes, iphoto, documents etc) with Time Machine, I plan on whipping all of those files over to my external HDD - replacing HDD, reinstalling everything fresh with the 2 mac discs, then I'll import all my files back.

Is that a reasonable process? Is there anything you would or wouldn't necessarily do?

Thanks

I would use SuperDuper to create a bootable backup of your system on an external hard drive. Then, install the new drive, boot from your external (hold the option key down at startup) and format the new internal drive (HFS+ Journaled).

Then you simply backup the external to the new internal drive, again using SuperDuper. Shut the machine down, remove the external and you should be able to boot as normal.

OP
T
Reaction score
I would use SuperDuper to create a bootable backup of your system on an external hard drive. Then, install the new drive, boot from your external (hold the option key down at startup) and format the new internal drive (HFS+ Journaled).

Then you simply backup the external to the new internal drive, again using SuperDuper. Shut the machine down, remove the external and you should be able to boot as normal.

Ohhh now that sounds easy, thanks for the prompt reply.

When you say "HFS+ Journaled".... whatyoumean? :Confused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohhh now that sounds easy, thanks for the prompt reply.

When you say "HFS+ Journaled".... whatyoumean? :Confused:

When you go to format your new hard drive, you'll have your choice of filesystems to use. Be sure to pick "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" (AKA HFS+ Journaled).

OP
T
Reaction score
Right, my HDD and RAM were delivered today and I've just went out to buy the Torxy torx srewdriver.

After reading around, I've decided to get a USB enclosure - clone my to-be-replaced drive directly onto the new one and swap them over.

Using my the old drive as an external drive now and again.

My new drive is the WD '320G SATA 2.5 MOB WD3200BEVT 0411286340'

Am I right to assume that buying one of these off FleaBay would be alright for both drives, especially the one thats inside my MB atm?

Yours,

annoying n00b :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, my HDD and RAM were delivered today and I've just went out to buy the Torxy torx srewdriver.

After reading around, I've decided to get a USB enclosure - clone my to-be-replaced drive directly onto the new one and swap them over.

Using my the old drive as an external drive now and again.

My new drive is the WD '320G SATA 2.5 MOB WD3200BEVT 0411286340'

Am I right to assume that buying one of these off FleaBay would be alright for both drives, especially the one thats inside my MB atm?

Yours,

That's right, just make sure it's a 2.5" SATA enclosure and it should work just fine regardless of whether it states that it's specifically "Mac" compatible.

annoying n00b :D

Not at all - keep the questions coming...

OP
T
Reaction score
Not at all - keep the questions coming...

Oh dear, you do know you can't put the pin back into grenade :Smirk:

I think I'm going to go with this one. It's USB powered.

There won't be any problems with performance? It'll squeeze out enough juice to run the drive? Others I've seen come with an external power supply - which I'm obviously looking avoid.

I would go with a firewire one - but they're expensivio.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of them come with a power supply, but depending on the drive, it's not always necessary. I would definitely make sure that the one you get at least has the option to use an external power source, just in case.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you put about 160 GB or less in a usb enclosure, you should have enough power with usb2.0.

i just did a hard drive swap, all i did was buy a 100 dollar 160GB external drive, formatted it HFS+, then swapped it with the 80GB one in my macbook and did a fresh install on the new 160 in my macbook. then i just copied what i needed from the old 80 that i swapped into the new enclosure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.