Aperture or Elements?

Reaction score
I have recently made the move form PC to Mac and one of my major interests is photography/imaging--on the PC I have limited experience with Photoshop Elements and am now trying to decide which photo/imaging software to go with on the Mac (24" Imac). While I know a bit about Elements on the PC side of things, its not enough to make me stick with Elements for the Mac.

It seems to me that Aperture and Elements are pretty close in terms of functionality/capabilities relative to image editing, RAW work etc---can anyone offer thoughts/comments on which might be better than the other or info on your experiences with one/both?

(PS--I am aware of the Iphoto, simply looking for more capabilities/functionality.)

Thanks!:D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have recently made the move form PC to Mac and one of my major interests is photography/imaging--on the PC I have limited experience with Photoshop Elements and am now trying to decide which photo/imaging software to go with on the Mac (24" Imac). While I know a bit about Elements on the PC side of things, its not enough to make me stick with Elements for the Mac.

It seems to me that Aperture and Elements are pretty close in terms of functionality/capabilities relative to image editing, RAW work etc---can anyone offer thoughts/comments on which might be better than the other or info on your experiences with one/both?

(PS--I am aware of the Iphoto, simply looking for more capabilities/functionality.)

Thanks!:D

I like Elements quite a bit on the Windows side of things, but I have to admit that I haven't really ventured far from iPhoto on the Mac as it does almost everything I need it to do with photos. I do use a program called "Pixelmator" for touchups, and I've often heard people recommend it in place of Elements.

Also note that Apple has a trial for Aperture if you just want to check it out for yourself.

OP
W
Reaction score
Good point--I better check out the trial. I've read some of the stuff coming up on a search on this topic and it seems both products have a following. Perhaps I will lean toward Aperture in hopes of better integration with other Apple/Mac programs. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Those 2 programs are a bit different in intention. I would compare Aperture to Adobe Lightroom more so than Photoshop. Photoshop has more in the way of editing/creation. I personally use both and wouldn't really want to replace one for the other. I use Aperture primarily for my photography workflow, and Photoshop primarily for graphics creation and further/more involved editing of photos. Probably a 90/10 ratio of Aperture to Photoshop in terms of how much I use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.