G4 AGP Dual Monitors?

M

mateo107

Hi!

I've got a G4 400MHz with the AGP Video Card. Can I take the PCI Video Card from my B&W (Rev 1- cruddy bad IDE channel version) and put it into one of the slots on the G4 PowerMac and use it for Dual Displays? Also, I've never done this on a mac, so how do I "extend" the desktop in this fashion?

Thanks!
-Matt-

OP
Z

zeppster

mateo107 said:
Hi!

I've got a G4 400MHz with the AGP Video Card. Can I take the PCI Video Card from my B&W (Rev 1- cruddy bad IDE channel version) and put it into one of the slots on the G4 PowerMac and use it for Dual Displays? Also, I've never done this on a mac, so how do I "extend" the desktop in this fashion?

Thanks!
-Matt-

I could be wrong but I don't think you can have dual screens with a AGP and and a PCI.. *I COULD BE WRONG*( I don't want anyone being like "Zeppester is such an idiot, yes you can")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I don't know if your B/W card will work in your G4 (seems like it would), but you can have dual displays with agp and pci mix. I'm using a dual display on a Quicksilver 733.

Once you connect the monitor to the card go to
System Preferences/Monitor/Arrangement to set
- which monitor is the startup monitor
- which side of the startup monitor (left or right) is the second montor
- positioning of the second monitor (higher or lower) in relation to the startup monitor

OP
M

mateo107

thanks very much! my only concern was that on the original B&W the video PCI card was "different" than the other three... and on this one, I don't know if it makes any different ;)

thanks all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.