Uploading Video To My PowerBook

Reaction score
First off I'd like to say that I'm new to Mac's so this question may have a simple solution.
I've taken some video with my canon ixus but can't get it onto my computer. The photo's all downloaded into iPhoto no problems.
I tried the import function in iMovie and can't see where my camera is located to make the import.
Can anyone help me as I really would like to get it done on the Mac without having to go back to my PC.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If your camera is connected via USB, then iMovie will not see it. I believe that iMovie only see firewire camera.

OP
S
Reaction score
iMovie, firewire

The Sanyo Xacti HD1000 connects via usb 2 and works fine with iMovie, or so the brouchers say. Is this wrong because I'm planning on getting one next month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Rman, the camera in question is a digital still camera, not a video camera. Also iMovie 08 has some new USB connection tricks.

Screamhere, iMovie 08 is the version of iMovie you are interesting in researching for compatibility with the Sanyo.

For your Canon, look into the Setup section of the camera to see if there is a setting for the USB connection. I'm thinking this maybe an issue between choosing PTP or Normal.

OP
S
Reaction score
USB Connect

I've looked at the camera settings and dug out the instructions but there seems to be no USB settings for my camera.
I've checked the canon website incase I need to download the camera drivers to make it work but they only list the up-dates for the mac.

Should I be able to see my camera as a mass storage device on my desktop, because when It's connected I can't find it anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You could try using "Image Capture.app" to get to the movies. It is in the Application folder.

If you don't see the camera as a removable media on either your desktop or in the finder, but iPhoto is allowing you to load the photos, then it is being mounted as removable media. Beyond my suggestion above, I don't know why it isn't visible to you.

You might be able to learn a little more by using Disk Utility in the Applications/Utility folder. This tool should at least show the drive but likely with the 'Mount' button grayed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just had the problem you described and was able to fix it by setting the USB Connect setting to NORMAL. My camera is a 3 year old Sony. If you have or can download a PDF version of the Canon's manual, then you could do a search of that document. Maybe you already did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.