CPUs are running at 30-50% each while doing practically nothing!

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

So, my Dual 533 cpus seem to be running at 30% to 50%, while doing things that used to require about 10%.

It all started when I ran Onyx on Sunday.
Ever since then. I ran everything, then restarted, and they were at 40 something percent right when I restarted, before I even opened anything.
It stayed there, never went lower, only went up or stayed the same.
So, I restarted.

It seemed fine, then when I opened iTunes and Safari it jumped up again.
Restarted again.

It's sometimes fine, but it's still doing it sometimes. It's really fluctuating.

It says 281MB used and 615NB free, and the CPUs seem to be doing a lot of work.

The fan seems louder than before, probably because of the CPU thing.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but i'm just wondering, what's making it do that?

The only things I have open right now are Mail, iChat, Itunes, Safari, and AOL connect.
I have 3 tabs. Not talking to anyone, have no emails.
Listening to music. That's it.

I just don't want my baby to be hot and overworked, it could get a headache. Awwww.
Poor Frank.
I guess my PowerMac's name is Frank now.

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you cleared all of the caches using Onyx, it's possible that they are being rebuilt as you use your computer, which could possibly explain the heavy CPU usage. It should subside in a day or two.

Also, you can fire up Activity Monitor to see what is using up all those resources.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
It could be spotlight rebuilding its index. Is there a wee dot inside the magnifying glass???

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
If you cleared all of the caches using Onyx, it's possible that they are being rebuilt as you use your computer, which could possibly explain the heavy CPU usage. It should subside in a day or two.

Yeah, the only one I didn't delete was the internet one.
It's gotten better, but it's still higher than it used to be.

Also, you can fire up Activity Monitor to see what is using up all those resources.

It's iTunes. Safari uses a lot of memory! Maybe I have too many tabs open.

It could be spotlight rebuilding its index. Is there a wee dot inside the magnifying glass???

Nope.

Thanks everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.