Problems with hyperlinks "newbie"

Reaction score
Hi all, well im a new convert from pc to mac. Ive just finished a website for my littleuns preschool and now decided that im going to re do it with iweb. the only problem is that when i highlight the text and click on the inspector to enable as hyperlink it always sends me to the http//:livepage.apple.com ??? i click on all the right buttons, so open in new window, enable as hyperlink, make hyperlinks active. i copy and paste the web add in as it a big link to an ofstead report. but then when i click on the link to test it it just goes to apple? ive been sat here for an hour trying to figure it out but i cant. Im using ilife 08, its updated. I dont have a dot mac account yet but i cant see that being the issue does anyone have any ideas??
the link below is the one i need to use. cheers AlanJ

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/portal/site/Internet/menuitem.7c7b38b14d870c7bb1890a01637046a0/?event=getReport&urn=305366%20%20&inspectionNumber=339719&providerCategoryID=2&fileName=\\ey\\CB\\INTDC_305366_01032007.xml

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, it looks like iWeb doesn't like the length of the URL. A hack would be to link to a page you manually construct that redirects to the site you want.

Second, in that inspector, uncheck the "Make hyperlinks active" at the bottom before selecting the link. That will allow you edit your links rather than end up at them.

Reaction score
First, it looks like iWeb doesn't like the length of the URL. A hack would be to link to a page you manually construct that redirects to the site you want.

If that's the issue would it not, perhaps, be easier just to reduce the length of the hyperlink using something like tinyurl..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
Hi all,
Got a macbook yesterday. I've not used iweb but if you can edit the page source code directly you can use the following:

<a href="http://www.yoururlhere.com">This is the text that will display</a>

Obviously you replace yoururlhere with the real url. I've tested it with the link you want to use and it's fine.

Is iweb a WYSIWYG tool? i.e. you can drag and drop and the actual code is put together by the application?

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
CicularSaw has the right idea.

In iWeb 08 under the Insert menu is "HTML Snippet". This allows one to add custom html. Choose that and insert the HTML needed to perform the link. I just tried it and it worked properly for your long URL. The text to insert looks something like this;

This is my <a href="theUrlLinkHere">link</a> to Ofsted.

The big URL string replaces the text theUrlLinkHere. Keep those quote marks.

If you want to pop up another page then try to place, TARGET="Content", just before the first > sign.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.