Help please! Fan permanently on !

Reaction score
Hi,

just in the past day or so my macbook fan won't go off and so the battery is running down very quickly.

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary that I can think of ie installed new software or hardware etc.

Can anyone give me an idea of what it could be and how to fix it please ?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I'd say make an appointment and bring it into an apple store if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
Did you find out what was wrong with your fan?? mine is doing the same thing but i'm out of warranty. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' MBP, Mac minis x3, Power Mac G4 (AGP), 13'' White MacBook, eMac
have you tried to reset the pram. To reset pram do the following.

1. shut down the mac

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command thats (cmd), Option thats (Alt), P, and R.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Quickly Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time

6. Now release the keys and it will boot-up normally

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
My fiancee's macbook had that problem once. I looked under activity monitor and checked "all processes" and found out that the indexing tool for spotlight was running full force. We had just installed Windows on her bootcamp partition, so my theory was that it was trying to index all of that. We let it run (on AC) for about an hour and it finally completed whatever it was trying to do. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I think it showed up as "MSI" under processes. Hope this helps!

Trent out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.