New use for zip drive bay

Reaction score
I was wondering if it was possible to install an optical drive (in this case an old dvd drive) where the zip drive is located at. I see that the brackets are different sized. (I have a G4 quicksilver).

Also is it possible for me to add an OEM dual processor to it to replace the stock 800mhz single processor.

thanks alot.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
zip drives were the same form factor as 3.5" hard drives and floppy drives on most tower computers (mac and windows). some may have had a special bracket that held a zip into a 5" bay, but if i remember how those look, and from what you're saying, i don't think that's the case (pardon the pun).

you might be able to add a big cheap 3.5" hard drive back there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums.

Sure just pop it in by removing the existing optical drive and setting the new or bottom drive as slave. Web site of the manufacturer will explain the settings.

Your machine is a Quicksilver and DP CPU upgrades from OWC and Sonnet will work just fine, and maybe a DP from a 1GHz Quicksilver depending on your exact model. The 2002 model will accept the 1GHz DP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.