Can no longer write/read my internal hard drive?

Reaction score
(This has to do with my hard drive as well as Leopard. If I need to post this elsewhere, let me know)

I've been using my MacBook for abut two years now. I've never had any problems with it until I upgraded to Leopard. I decided to do a full erase and install since I can easily back up all my necessary data. I'm a fan of a clean start.

Anywho, a lot of this data included my music collection, 16GB of it including a couple of movies. I use a WD My Book Home Edition external 500GB hard drive and I've never had problems transferring music or anything to and from my computer.

Now, however, I have a problem. After updating to 10.5.2 and getting the firmware update for the external, I went on to copy all my music back into my iTunes library.

Thats when this message popped up:
35a2es5.jpg

(Meewunk is the name of the standard 60GB hard drive I have)

I was mostly confused by this because it copied half my music but refuses to do the rest. Its not even stuff that I purchased from the iTunes store so it doesn't have protections on it or anything. I tried using third party software to get it all off of my iPod but again, only about half the music was copied (the same half) before getting that message.

I've made sure that I gave myself permission to read/write from the drive and verified the disk using DiskUtility. The only thing it won't do is Verify Disk Permissions or Repair Disk Permissions.

Everything else works fine, I can save documents and such, this just seems to be music specific only.

What is going on? Should I just stick to Tiger or what?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is just a shot in the dark but have you checked to see how much free space is left on your internal 60GB drive?

Have you tried booting with the 10.5 DVD and running Disk Utility from the menu there? Try repairing the drive that way and see if that helps.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have plenty of disk space, approx 14GB left and I only need about 8GB of it. I will try to do Disk Utility from the disk though, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well you do not have any disk space!

For example an 80GB HDD after formatting reduces to about 74GB. Of this, 20% is needed to manage the drive, which is 15GB. Once you start using this 20% you get all sorts of problems such as you have struckl So the practical capacity of your hard drive is now reduced to 59GB .

Suggest say a 250GB in ternal HDD and use the 80 in an external firewire case?

OP
E
Reaction score
So you're saying that even though my computer is telling me this:
21mubmg.jpg

I really don't have that much space? If so, that is ridiculous. I guess that is what I get for installing Leopard into an almost three year old computer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.