• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple and Marketshare...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
good find. but i sit here and wonder if it is now a trend to buy apple will there (and if so when will) the next thing becomes popular. I remember when i got my first pc for college everybody was getting gateways.

at the time they were shipping in cow boxes and you could see them every where when freshmen were moving on to campus. now i dont remember the last person i saw with a gateway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I read that article and found it rather interesting. Well to me no matter how you take those numbers, the one fact no one can deny is apple's marketshare is improving by some amount.

I remember back in the windows 98 days. When people here in Australia camped out for ages for the midnight launch of it at stores. And people were actually happy to own their PC and were quite vocal about it. And I saw them everywhere.

But now I don't hear anyone saying their PC is their lifesaver and best thing they've ever bought. They mostly just use them cause they have to or always just have. And the same goes for the big and small screens (read the cinema and TV). I see now days so many movies and shows with Apple products in them.

I don't think PC's are doing anything different to the old days. The same standard of hardware and software is coming out from them as in the old days. But that's the thing. They stayed the same, got complacent. Never really bothered to try for something revolutionary or special for their customers. Whereas Apple are always on the ball. Last years standard of products and running things are no longer good enough anymore at Apple. They always must be better, achieve more, do more etc. Even if there is no one left to best, they go out to beat themselves. Always striving for a new mark.

And I think MS need to adopt this policy if they are to survive. Riding on old success can only last for so long.

Apple are not perfect either mind you. But I think they are closer to their goals then MS are currently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Good one, its always a subject that interests me.

It would be nice to see some figures for Europe, but I cannot find any.

Just goes to show, when people choose to buy a computer, more and more of them are choosing apple.

And the one sector where apple have not entered, the budget PC segment - is precisely the one Apple has given up as a money pit

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.