Powerbook 1400 Battery

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,

Started playing with my old Powerbook 1400c...and of course my battery is completely dead.

I was thinking about trying to rebuild/refurbish my old battery myself...by opening the battery case, and replacing the cells inside.

So far I have opened the case, and removed the intact battery pack.

The info on the battery pack is:

- Manufacturer Sanyo
- Model 8HR-4/3AU
- 9.6V
- 3500 mAh
- AL H
- Ni-MH batteries

I have read a bunch of "generic" articles on rebuilding/replacing the batteries in the a laptop battery pack...my problem is, when it comes to my specific Powerbook 1400 battery, I cannot find replacement batteries for the battery pack.

Many of these "generic" articles say find some 1.2 volt Ni-MH AA batteries (preferably with the metal tabs on the ends of the batteries).

The problem is, the Powerbook 1400 battery pack has 4 long cylindrical batteries comprising the battery pack...and each long cylindrical battery is longer than 2 AA batteries (see picture).

So if I used 8 AA Ni-MH 1.2v batteries...they wouldn't be long enough to fill the original plastic battery case.

So my questions:

1. Has anyone successfully done this (replace the batteries in a 1400 PB)?
2. Anybody know where I can get the proper length replacement batteries for the battery pack?

Thanks,

- Nick

PB1400Batt3.jpg

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...although I am disappointed that thus far I have received no replies to my original post on how to rebuild a Powerbook 1400 battery (or where to find replacement batteries).

Maybe this is because no one is messing around with PB 1400's anymore...or hasn't been daring enough or frugal enough to try to rebuild the battery.

I believe I have found a source for replacement batteries, and ordered them.

The next step will be to dismantle the original battery pack, and assemble & solder the new battery pack together.

If all works out, the rebuild will cost about 1/3rd to 1/2 the cost of a new "ready to use" battery...AND it will have approximately 20% more battery life.:[

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
cant you install the AA batteries and rig up a connection to the + contact with a bit of solder, copper and wire, and pad the remaining space with foam or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
also

for anybody out there with an more modern macbook, but not the latest) - this might be of interest if you are thinking of replacing the battery

Basically, some models use cheap Lithium Ion batteries inside the pack

http://lowendmac.com/musings/06/0908.html

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cant you install the AA batteries and rig up a connection to the + contact with a bit of solder, copper and wire, and pad the remaining space with foam or something?

From what I understand you could use AA batteries (NiMH, and "pad-up" the remaining space)...but the problem with AA batteries is they just don't have enough "juice".

Some articles that I have read, where folks used AA batteries, ended up with only about 20-25 minutes of runtime.

Which is certainly better than nothing, but with only 20-25 minutes of runtime, I would think that you would always want to be near an electrical outlet...or only use the battery for "sleeping" the computer.

Thanks for your reponse,

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also

for anybody out there with an more modern macbook, but not the latest) - this might be of interest if you are thinking of replacing the battery

Basically, some models use cheap Lithium Ion batteries inside the pack

http://lowendmac.com/musings/06/0908.html

Yeah...I read that article as well. The article does mention some drawbacks...but one drawback they don't mention is how AA batteries typically don't deliver anywhere near the amount of "runtime" as the original battery.

Of course some runtime is better than none...just something folks need to be aware of before purchasing the batteries...and doing all of the disassembly/assembly, and soldering involved...that they most likely won't get anywhere near the 2-4 hours of runtime they might have gotten from their original battery.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
pigoo forgive forum subscribers as yours is pretty old technology. Loved my 1400 and did replace the batteries here in Australia from a company called Battery World who sold the rechargeable NiMH replacements. Was not cheap about AU$40 six or eight years ago! Purchased from a Dakota seller a battery recharger and one additional battery so I always had a spare charged battery on hand.

From memory, which is fading fast I can tell you, think they needed one wire soldered to the contacts to join up. Surely some 1400's will be advertised on eBay if you are in the States?

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo forgive forum subscribers as yours is pretty old technology. Loved my 1400 and did replace the batteries here in Australia from a company called Battery World who sold the rechargeable NiMH replacements.

From memory, which is fading fast I can tell you, think they needed one wire soldered to the contacts to join up. Surely some 1400's will be advertised on eBay if you are in the States?

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah the PB 1400 is on the old side...but when it's sitting in the corner collecting dust, it's always fun to play with it every now & then.

As far as the battery rebuild...there are various articles on the internet that "generically" explain how to replace the batteries in a laptop battery pack...but nothing specific to the Powerbook 1400 (that I could find)...with the most important part being where to purchase replacement batteries.

I luckily did find a website that does sell the replacement batteries I need. If everything works out...the rebuild cost will be 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost of a new battery...and get about 20% more battery life than the original PB 1400 battery.

Thanks again,

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick did you do a Google on 1400 battery rebuilds? Here is a link to get you started:-

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg20643.html

Yes I have "Googled" Powerbook 1400 battery rebuild and/or refurbish.

The site you provided is simply a site to purchase batteries. As I mentioned earlier in this thread...I have already found a website for replacement batteries...and have ordered them.

Thanks for your reply,

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just in case anyone is reading this thread...here's a small update.

I finally received my replacement batteries a few days ago, I have "dismantled" the old battery (removed all soldered/welded connectors)...and have everything laid out to solder everything together to the new batteries.

Hopefully I will get it finished this weekend!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.