iWork, Mac Office 08, Open Office

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
I am about to switch to a MBP for my first Mac experience. My day job deals a lot with spreadsheets. I wanted to get opinions on the spreadsheet programs in all 3 of these programs.

I currently use Excel 07 on windows.

Has anyone used all 3 of these that can compare them together? Or just let me know which one you are a fan of.

Thanks! I am looking forward to entering the Mac Computer world, I am already a ipod/iphone fanboY!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
if you are going to be in a windows based office and using a mac i would suggest going with mac office. i use both iwork and mac office. when ever i work on something i know i will be emailing out or posting to the server i use mac office. i use iwork only when i will be the only person using the file

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Thanks, I am going to run windows with fusion, so I am going to probably install MS Office on that then use either iWork or NeoOffice when I am working on non day job stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have used both Mac Office 08 and NeoOffice. In general, I would recommend Mac Office 08 if you work with a lot of Windows based spreadsheets. The compatibility will simply be better. NeoOffice is good, but I am sure it is not a perfect clone.

Do bear in mind however that the version of Excel in Mac Office 08 apparently does not support Macros! See this MacWorld article for more "poop" on this. So, your plan to run PC MS Office under VMWare may be the best option of all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
From what I've read (I believe it was a recent article comparing iWork and MS Office Mac in Mac World magazine), Numbers is great as long as the spreadsheet doesn't get real large. Numbers has a problem handling real large spreadsheets, whereas Excel handles them well. I use iWork Numbers but I don't deal with huge spreadsheets so it works perfectly for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yeah, as mentioned before for best compatability your better of with Mac Office '08... iWork is great for creating really good posters, fliers, beautiful presentations et...its not the best for word processing or spreadsheet use…

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.