Backing up terabytes.

Reaction score
In a business environment, where data is critical, what backup systems do you recommend? We're looking at 15 TB scattered around on various external hard drives. We want to start some kind of backup system. We're looking into the Tandberg VXA-320, but I feel like there may be an easier alternative.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i think the problem is that the data resides on external hard drives.

i'm not sure what kind of company you have but if you ever think there is any possibility you may be audited for any reason, that could be a huge liability.

you may want to look at some sort of server farm with either enough RAID protected storage onboard, or with networked storage. either way, yo may want to make sure it is backed up to tape so that you can offsite to a vault.

it may be a good idea to simply check with some of the big names here: IBM, SUN/StorageTek, HP, etc. for consultation; and then check in your area for companies that do offsite storage/vaulting.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Eric: You took the words right out of my mouth. 15TB doesn't sound like much in today's world of 1TB hard drives, but once you hit that kind of a threshold, your needs are well beyond that of ordinary consumers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, it's the business, you know. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
I did some quick math and found that we would end up spending about $7,000 per year on just tapes if we went with that Tandberg VXA-320.

The tapes were about $70 each at 160 gb.
15tb = 15,360gb / 160gb = 96 tapes * $70 = $6,720....eek, tapes?

What about Drobo? $500 for the system, and then NewEgg has 1TB drives for around $200. I'd be looking at half the cost to use internal hard drives...fill it up, swap it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.