Power Mac G4 AGP Graphics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' MBP, Mac minis x3, Power Mac G4 (AGP), 13'' White MacBook, eMac
Hi everyone

I have an old PC version of the NVIDIA FX 5200 graphics card, I would like to put it in my Power Mac G4, as it only has a ATI RAGE 16MB card in. Is this possible

thanks R Nicholson

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I doubt it will work as it won't have Mac firmware on it. Plus the AGP slots could probably different.

I'm not sure what difference it would make anyway. There's not much an old ATI Rage couldn't do that an old GeForce 5200 could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
It can probably be flashed with a Mac ROM. You will need to do the flashing on a PC.

Lots of examples out there of how to do it. Here's one.
http://www.onefallinghope.com/nvidia.html

There is also an off chance you can get it to work by booting in OS 9.

I'm not sure what difference it would make anyway. There's not much an old ATI Rage couldn't do that an old GeForce 5200 could.
Quartz Extreme. That's a biggie. Some FX5200 cards also support Core Image, and that's an even bigger deal.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep your eye on eBay for a card such as an ATI Radeon 9000 MAC PRO which will work in AGP 2X machines such as yours. They are about the best of what is available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.