Wireless Printing without Mac Router

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to set up a printer with a wireless router that's not made by Apple?? I have a D-Link IR655 wireless router, and am using MacBook Pro on OS 10.4.

I've tried using the printer setting in system preference. It seems it requires some IP address, how do I acquire the IP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You didn't say what kind of printer you have. From what you have listed, this would only be possible if the printer was wireless. The USB port on the router is only for a thumb drive to copy network settings to other computers. It cannot be used for anything else, last time I checked.

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh really? that is all the usb port is good for? this sux, maybe I should sell this and get a mac airport extreme. thanks dakineyj.

btw my printer is epson r1800

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I looked into getting the airport extreme. I was planning on using the USB for a network drive. The problem with that for me was that there wasn't enough ethernet ports on it for me. Also I think there was something about the access speed that didn't work out for me. It would be perfect for using with a printer. Your only other options are...
1. Get a new printer with built in wireless
2. Get a network printer server, something like this
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=482
3. While looking for the printer server I also saw a similar thing except it uses bluetooth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.