Airport unable to find Windows Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacBook with Mac OS X Version 10.5.2 (Leopard)
Now that I'm home for the summer, I've had problems connecting my MacBook to my home's Windows network. It worked periodically, but recently has ceased altogether. I ran a firmware update for the router (a Microsoft MN-500 model that runs 802.11b) on the XP computer that is directly connected to the router after the problem started, but nothing changed.

I have a 64-bit WEP encryption set up, and I was able to connect to the network a few weeks ago, but no longer. AirPort doesn't even show the network.

I have tried a number of remedies, including re-establishing the home Windows network, changing it's wireless channel to avoid interference, changing security settings to 128-bit and then back, removing all firewall programs on the main Windows PC, and resetting both computers. Nothing has worked!

When the network doesn't show up, I enter click 'Join Other Network,' and enter the name, select 'WEP Password' and enter it, and click 'Join.' It's says that there is a 'connection timeout.' I have checked to make sure that my computer IS compatible with 802.11b networks, so I'm stumped.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the workgroup, but I'm not trying to share files or anything, only access the network! Any ideas?

Also, one available network (perhaps a neighbor's...) sometimes requires a password, but sometimes does not. Perhaps there is a problem with the AirPort itself? I don't know why that would change...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Now that I'm home for the summer, I've had problems connecting my MacBook to my home's Windows network. It worked periodically, but recently has ceased altogether. I ran a firmware update for the router (a Microsoft MN-500 model that runs 802.11b) on the XP computer that is directly connected to the router after the problem started, but nothing changed.

I have a 64-bit WEP encryption set up, and I was able to connect to the network a few weeks ago, but no longer. AirPort doesn't even show the network.

I have tried a number of remedies, including re-establishing the home Windows network, changing it's wireless channel to avoid interference, changing security settings to 128-bit and then back, removing all firewall programs on the main Windows PC, and resetting both computers. Nothing has worked!

When the network doesn't show up, I enter click 'Join Other Network,' and enter the name, select 'WEP Password' and enter it, and click 'Join.' It's says that there is a 'connection timeout.' I have checked to make sure that my computer IS compatible with 802.11b networks, so I'm stumped.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the workgroup, but I'm not trying to share files or anything, only access the network! Any ideas?

Also, one available network (perhaps a neighbor's...) sometimes requires a password, but sometimes does not. Perhaps there is a problem with the AirPort itself? I don't know why that would change...

Did you try this?

AirPort, Time Capsule: Joining an encrypted wireless network

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.