How do mac users right click?

Reaction score
This might sound like a really stupid question coming from a PC user, but I REALLY miss the right mouse button. I find it really odd that Apple still hasn't adopted it. I mean I know it's not totally necessary but when you want to correct a word or something in MS Word I'm so used to right clicking and clicking the correct one, or right clicking a hyperlink and picking save as or what not. That's where my question comes from. The last time I used a mac before my powerbook was when you could only use IE. I remember just clicking and holding the mouse button for the equivilent of the rigth mouse button, but in word and safari this doesn't work. I always hold option and click to get the right mouse buttons menu. This seems odd to have to do that and so I'm just curious is that what you guys do? Or click the menu bar and select waht you want? Just seems to be a waste of time in word holding down option and clicking a word, like im emulating the right button! Suggestions!? Thanks :) Btw I'm on a powerbook and don't like dragging a mouse around so pls don't suggest using a 2 button mouse because I do do that :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
just buy a mouse with 2 buttons. or hold control on the keyboard while clicking, does the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Several options:

1. We don't. If you've grown up (in a computer sense, or even literally) without a second mouse button, you get used to using drag-and-drop and the menu bar at the top. Drag-and-drop replaces cut-and-paste in word processing applications. You can also use it to save things like web page images.

Word's spell-check underline was obviously designed for Word on Windows with two-button mice. Can't be helped, so....

2. We hold down control while we click. Works in a pinch.

3. We learn and use the keyboard shortcuts. Sometimes, they duplicate things you'd use the second button for.

4. We break down and buy multi-button mice. (Bonus: scroll wheels!) You might try one of the half-size laptop mice that are designed to be portable, or a wireless mouse with no cable to mess with.

J

johnny5w

Get SideTrack. It's a plugin that allows you to use the button for right-clicks (and the trackpad for tapping). This program also allows you to scroll along the side of the trackpad like PC laptops. I can't be without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Apple C copy, Apple V paste, control + mouse click for image copy (brings up menu)

I

iSheep

I prefer Apple's multiple functions with one button mice rather than just two buttons with two functions. For example, sometimes you'll want to Cmd click, sometimes Cmd+Shift click and sometimes when you're dragging, Option is pretty useful to copy a something instead of move.

Just adapt and you'll discover it's a much better idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
I second that.

I love macs, have used them for years and always will. But one bloody mouse button is a pain in the backside.

Don't get me wrong, I use shortcuts all the time, my left hand is always hovering over the bottom left corner of my keyboard; it's just so much better when you have a few buttons to play around with on the mouse too!

A scroll wheel is also VERY handy.

Oh when will apple design a lovely multi button mouse for us? :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Forget the one button work-arounds! Two buttons are always better than one, plus us ex-PC refuges can never unlearn right click. Get yourself a nice logitech with a scroll wheel and you're in business-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I disagree with many of you. I've used PCs all my life and have only been using mac for three months. I'm definitely already over the second mouse button. ctrl+click when you need it, which isn't that often if you use shortcuts. But I suppose that when I used PC I was all about the shortcuts, too, and most of the shortcuts are the same except you substitute command for pc's ctrl.
For example: command+v is paste on a mac, where ctrl+v is paste on a pc.
Anyway, long story short, before you run out and get an extra mouse, just try to get used to it. However, I'd definitely recommend the apple wireless bluetooth mouse. So good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It took me a day or so to get used to the one button mouse, Why should the mouse do all the work? And the Apple mouse is so cool! And I was the KING of right click! :alien:

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Today, I was typing some stuff to help out my school on a Compaq laptop. I copy and pasted to save time.

Whenever I tried to right click, I kept holding down control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Yeah, after only a few short weeks of Apple use, I tried to use my roommate's Toshiba laptop and kept clicking the wrong button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.