MBP - which disk speed

Reaction score
I am about to buy a 15" MBP and have been offered the choice to upgrade from the 250GB 5,400 rpm to the 200GB 7,200rpm drive.

Would I notice the data access speed difference?
Does the faster unit use a lot more battery power?
Does the MBP run hotter with the 7,200rpm disk?
Is one drive more reliable than the other?

The MBP will be used general work, parallels and Aperture 2 plus I need the laptop to last at least 4 years :D

All advice most welcome, thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I did a lot of research on this before I got my MBP....I cant get really technical about it but I know that you won't notice the difference between the two unless you are doing serious video editing or other saving that saves HUGE gigs at a time in one file. I prefer the extra 50 gigs of space.

I have read that it does use a little more battery power but nothing significant so I wouldn't let that be part of your consideration.

No idea about the hear.

For what you are using it for, I would just go with the 250 since if you're using aperature and I guess parallels too, you are going to want to have some space on your HD...esp if you'll be dealing with a LOT of pictures and a lot of files on the windows side or whatever OS you are running with parallels. Good luck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have read the opposite - that the increase from the 5400 to the 7200 is very noticable in things like boot time and application launch time. I would be inclined to go for the 7200 drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
which is more important to you

a few seconds here and there or 50 gigs more memory? that is the only question i would be asking my self.

you probably will not see much of a difference in heat and battery life.

personally i would go for the bigger hard drive

OP
B
Reaction score
Many thank - I have decided to go for the larger disk and 4gb of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4

Good choice! Which MBP are you getting (2.4 or 2.5?)

Reaction score

also i wouldnt recommend upgraded to the 4gb of ram. you can buy a much cheaper one and install it yourself. Check newegg.com

Cheers.

Reaction score
Upgrading my MBP to 4gb was under $100 at Crucial and took 5 minutes to install! I did decide on the 200gb 7200rpm drive for speed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.