Microsoft Office 2008 SP1 upgrade problem

Reaction score
After I upgraded to SP1 I get the updater it checks the for updates, and confirms there are no current updates. Then i try and open Word (or any other office program) and it forced me into the setup assistant where it just checks for updates again.

I tried to reinstall Office and then SP1 and get the same message. I ended up have to reinstall Office and skip the update process. this puts me in a worse position then before I tried to run the update because i don't have any of the updates that came out before SP1.

Further more now outlook gives me the following message "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There appear to be more than one problems with this update. See this thread for other issues too. No solution, but at least the comfort of knowing that you are not alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
just did the update and had no problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Wow I had the same problem this morning. I just reinstalled it and didn't update.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After I upgraded to SP1 I get the updater it checks the for updates, and confirms there are no current updates. Then i try and open Word (or any other office program) and it forced me into the setup assistant where it just checks for updates again.

I tried to reinstall Office and then SP1 and get the same message. I ended up have to reinstall Office and skip the update process. this puts me in a worse position then before I tried to run the update because i don't have any of the updates that came out before SP1.

Further more now outlook gives me the following message "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage"

This is a known problem with the MS Office updater. Please visit the MS Office for Mac web site for the resolution. Follow this link and select forums. Search for update problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.mspx

Regards.

Reaction score
wow I just joined up because I'm having the same problem and you guys came to the rescue. thanks i look forward to being on this board!

Reaction score

I am having that exact problem and I haven't found a solution yet. As for "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage" try deleting the microsoft user data folder under "Documents"

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far - great to see I am not the only one - have tried trashing the Microsoft User data and still no joy - any other ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The trick is delete all the Microsoft preference data, Application Support data, and Microsoft folders from your Library and Documents folder.

Once you've done that, delete Microsoft Office and reinstall, it should work fine.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is related to the same issue - I've just done a reinstall of Office 2008, which then created this message when trying to open Entourage: 'This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage.'

So I've downloaded the Updates package, which led to this message part way through the install process: 'You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.'

I'm able to open all applications except Entourage, so the software is definitely on my hard drive, but there isn't an option to Browse for an install location and get around it. Does anyone have input or suggestions?

thanks in advance -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.