Help! Cant download or mount DMG images!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD.
I am having a problem downloading and mounting DMG images. The last few days I have been cleaning up my files and folders in anticipation of upgrading to Leopard. I have a feeling I may have changed a setting or deleted a crucial file.

Everytime I try to download a new application off the internet in the form of a DMG file (which usually takes a minute or 2 with my broadband connection) I just see an image appear immediately on my desktop. The image usually is titled with about 7 or 8 random numbers or letters with a DMG extension. When I double click it I get a message box pop up that the image failed to mount and it was not recognized. I still can download Apple updates, Itunes music, PDF files, etc.

Does anyone know what may be responsible for this? Should I try to reinstall the 10.4 OS? If so will I lose all my photo and music files that are saved? Or is my best bet to just upgrade to Leopard immediately to correct this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD.
After a few more trials and a little more research I discovered it was a Firefox problem. The problem was fixed by restoring some configuration defaults. Here are the steps to the fix in case anyone experiences this similar problem:

Reset the download folder

1. In the Location bar, type about:config, and press EnterReturn.
* The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
2. In the Filter textbox, enter browser.download.
3. If any of the following preferences have a status of user set, you must reset the value. To reset the value, right-click the preference and select Reset:
* browser.download.dir
* browser.download.downloadDir
* browser.download.folderList
* browser.download.lastDir
* browser.download.useDownloadDir
4. If desired, you can revert back to your preferred download folder settings through your Firefox Options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.