New 08 Imac - memory question

Reaction score
I bought a new 08 imac the other day, instead of shelling out the loot for a 4gb version i bought the 2gb however I want to have 4gb of ram. I figured I could find it elsewhere online. I came across this on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134671 however its rated a bit lower then the specs of the imac which are pc 6400 800mhz. I was wondering if I would notice or have a decrease in performance due to the lower mhz of the memory and or if this memory would even work with a desktop, it seems like a great price but I think its for a lappy, no? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
I'm pretty sure you can find better priced and guaranteed compatibility on www.crucial.com I'll go check right now... but you should check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
While the memory you linked to has the exact specs your iMac needs, don't waste your money on the Mac memory section at Newegg. Just go to the regular laptop memory section and find RAM with the right specs.

Here are some good 4GB sets:

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $79.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $84.99

ogacon, Crucial has a 2x2GB set for $109.99. While that is certainly cheaper than the set the OP linked to, it doesn't beat the above prices.

Crucial 4GB kit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Ya, I see that now. :) Good thing you're here.

OP
Q
Reaction score
hey, you said laptop memory, I have an imac, did you make a mistake or will it work just the same? Thanks.

While the memory you linked to has the exact specs your iMac needs, don't waste your money on the Mac memory section at Newegg. Just go to the regular laptop memory section and find RAM with the right specs.

Here are some good 4GB sets:

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $79.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $84.99

ogacon, Crucial has a 2x2GB set for $109.99. While that is certainly cheaper than the set the OP linked to, it doesn't beat the above prices.

Crucial 4GB kit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The iMac uses laptop parts to make it so thin, so yes, laptop memory is exactly what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Ram for the imac is so cheap why don't you get something reputable instead of really cheap.

Unless your really cheap, that pretty much covers it....lol

I'ts just after reading about reviews on the G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $84.99 it's sounds like more of a PITA than anything. waiting for something only to get it and it suckes then you have to hassle with exchange....meanhwile, you could have spent another $50 and got some good kingston or crucial ram, and have had no problems.

with 4gb on my 24" 2.66 imac , I get 82fps in stormwind in WOW. Pretty good imo.

Reaction score
$62 for 4GB from OCZ?? And it's CAS 5?

Sheesh. I just shelled out $109 for Crucial CAS 6 the other day too :\ That's what impatience buys I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.