Printer won't respond

Reaction score
My first post here. Hello everyone.
Since I'm sure the problem is with the mac and not the actual printer itself I thought this'd be the right forum to post in. I'm trying to print with a brother hl-1435 and no matter what the printer won'r respond. It'll say 30% finished and then printer won't respond. I've been in the printer setup, system preferences, the printer software and nothing seems to do it. It's plugged in, it's turned on, the printer prints the last page it printed when I hold the power button down. I'm sure it's a simple fix but I can't find anything in the manual, and the online support didn't help much.
Is there a troubleshooting feature I'm not aware of? I'm sure there's plenty I'm not aware of with this thing so that's why I'm here.
Sorry if this belongs in the peripherals forum, but the printer itself is fine and it has worked flawlessly with the mac before. Any help appreciated.
RTF

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried using a different printer with your Mac? If that particular printer was working OK before and now is not then something has gone wrong from that time.

Have you installed any updates to your Mac or programs since the time the printer was working? Also, if there is another machine available nearby try hooking the Brother to it and see if it works OK.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
This happens to me all the time, what you have to do it go to system preferences>printer> and then delete that printer. and then you have to add it again.

I don;t know why it does it, but what ever, as long as it works right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This happens to me all the time, what you have to do it go to system preferences>printer> and then delete that printer. and then you have to add it again.

I don;t know why it does it, but what ever, as long as it works right?

That would quickly get old with me. :Angry-Tongue: I've got an HP Laserjet that acts up once in awhile and suffers from memory loss. :)

I honestly think the problem with your Brother and the sometimes problem with my HP is inferior driver support for OS X. My HP works fine when it's hooked up to my Win Machines. And I'm betting your Brother would probably work OK as well.

I've decided that if I need to purchase another printer I'm going to get one that has good OS X support. Might be time for you to look for another printer also. :(

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried deleting it and then adding it. Along with a seemingly untraceable amount of restarts and a disk verification & repair I was able to get it to print two pages of sheet music from finale (a music notation program).
Now it's back to not responding.
When I'm adding the printer in the printer setup utility I keep getting error -50. I found a posted definition of the error but it doesn't help me as my understanding of the inner workings of a mac is pretty small.
I'd hate to have to go buy another printer. I have one that's an ink jet that works fine, but the brother makes the music notation so much better and more readable I don't think I can go back now.
Does the error I'm getting give anyone here an idea what may be happening?
By the way, thanks to all of you for your input & comments, they're very helpful.
The brother works fine w/ a PC.
The other printer works fine with the mac.
Thanks-
RTF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
i have the exact same problem- i use a brother hl- 2700CN and the printer is on hold. i cannot mak it start! a computer nerd told me i needed to CHANGE my network network adress, as it might have been sharing the same network adress as the printer or another computer in the network!

Hope this helps!

OP
R
Reaction score
Funny thing. When I turned my computer on this morning, the printer turned on (how I don't know) and printed the last thing I tried to get it to print.
Alas, now it no longer responds. I'm thinking the guy who suggested the problem is inferior OS X support is right, because that explains the intermittent behavior.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.