Good alternatives to ilife?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I am upgrading my macbook to Leopard because I haven't been able to do a fresh reinstall since my original Tiger disks are missing. I really only use iphoto and garageband. Is there a good free alternative to iphoto?

As for Garage-band. Can I simply take the application out of the folder and drag it onto my western digital ext. hdd. and then re-copy it back to my mac after installing Leopard? Or are there support files and whatnot that I will be missing?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
So if you have iLife then why are you not just re-installing it?
Surely you are not that desparate for disk space?
It would be a lot simpler to just re-install it.
You said that you do use iPhoto, why are you looking for an alternative?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
maybe I wasn't clear.

I don't have the reinstall disks for my macbook. So I don't have the bundled software either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Weel you said that you had leopard, doesn't that come with iLife?

Reaction score
I think the best way to install Leopard will be an "archive and install". That way you can keep all you apps you have now.

And BTW, the retail version of Leopard doesn't come with iLife. Only the disks that come bundled with your computer have iLife on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Weel you said that you had leopard, doesn't that come with iLife?
Nope. iLife comes with every Mac, but isn't a part of the OS.

As for Garage-band. Can I simply take the application out of the folder and drag it onto my western digital ext. hdd. and then re-copy it back to my mac after installing Leopard? Or are there support files and whatnot that I will be missing?

If you just drag the apps over you'll be missing several gigs of themes, audio clips etc.

If you install Leopard, choose "upgrade" or "archive and install" rather than "erase and install" and you'll keep your current apps.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.