Is my MBP too hot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
When I use visualhub to convert video files, my MBP will run at 207 F or 97 C for sometimes up too an hour and a half at a time. I thought the MBP would shut down if it got too hot, so is this temp acceptable or should I ease up on the converting?

edit- my fans run at an average of 6000 rpm while this is happening, and the MBP is on a desk, not my lap or a soft surface. In truth, it doesn't feel THAT hot... maybe istat is wrong?

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
never mind, I think i figured it out. I accidentally had the H.264 box checked which may have put more of a strain on my system.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im using the 15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
With regards to heat on Apple laptops, there are three things to remember...

1) Has it room to breathe? I know yours is on a desk, but having it slightly raised at the back is very helpful

2) Room temperature. Hows the temperature in the room you are working? if it's hot, open a window, get a fan on, don't let the laptop sit in it's own stagnant heat

3) surrounding heat? make sure it's not amongst hot lamps or other heat producing equipment.

If your laptop is still heating up a silly amount when it's under strain but is propped up a little, in a cool-ish room and has air to breathe, then just keep a loose eye on the temperature.

Since having my Macbook pro (over 2 years now) I have noticed it's absolute highest temperature is 90 degrees celcius.

Also remember, because you have a temperature control program installed and know it's actual heat, it is easier to be concerned about the heat. what seems silly to you and me in terms of temperature is relatively ok in terms of computer heat.

The majority of Apple users don't know how hot their equipment gets, nor do they want to know, nor do they care, they just use the machines for work, and I know plenty of friends who seem to fry their computers daily but simply because they are using them and don't even know or worry about the temperature.

For me, I ride on the fact that, yes, when i am doing hard core render work, I knock the fans up a little to lower the stress, and hopefully therefor prolong the life of my equipment. A bit like when I drive off from the lights in my car, I don't squeel the tyres so they last longer.

when my laptop shuts down because of the heat, then I will be worried, but until then, I know it'll be fine, and the fact the fans blow hard is only a good thing as it means they are working and doing their job! :)

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Glossy Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 30gb iPod Video
Wouldn't forcing your fans to work at an increased RPM just induce more wear and tear on the fans??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
yeah i wouldnt recommend boosting the fans...they are set to operate a specific way....they get hot...get a stand or cooling pad instead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Yes, pushing your fans would wear them out more, but in my view, I would rather have to spend £80 on a pair of fans than over £350 on a mother board and cpu if they broke because of heat issues.

I do agree that the fans are 'set to a specific way' in that they operate in an optimal fashion, and I have never seen a test where a cpu in a mbp running at 50 degrees is more optimal than a mbp running at 90 degrees so possibly I am wrong to push the fans when the work load increases.

Although I will say I never put them beyond 5000 rpm manually, and besides, smc fan control only lets you set the minimum rpm, if the cpu needs more air, it can make the fans go faster.

The other reason I would increase the fan speed is when I am actually using the laptop on my lap (yes, I know it's not specifically meant to be on your lap) and I'm maybe watching a flash video embedded in a website. Being able to make the fans push the temperature down is a blessing.

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4, 2GB DDR,160gb HDD,8600m GT 256
hi ppl! i want to buy the macbook pro! and now doing some resurches!
and from a lot of fotos i understand that the air into the mbp going thro the back of lap? near from where its coming out?
and i was wondering! can it be that apple did a style computer but didn wanted to mess it with the holes on the botom of the MBP? i think that the fant would have much more performance with the holes on the botom of MBP where the fans are !? what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
hi ppl! i want to buy the macbook pro! and now doing some resurches!
and from a lot of fotos i understand that the air into the mbp going thro the back of lap? near from where its coming out?
and i was wondering! can it be that apple did a style computer but didn wanted to mess it with the holes on the botom of the MBP? i think that the fant would have much more performance with the holes on the botom of MBP where the fans are !? what do you think?

Actually is sucks air IN from the keyboard, and OUT through the back.

There are no holes in the bottom of the MBP for a reason, the fan's don't actually have a direct route to the bottom of the computer (if you opened it up and looked inside, the fans are facing upwards, below them is the component they are cooling and that is usually attached to the motherboard. Unlike other PCs, the bottom of the MacBook Pro is solid. Having holes there would do nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey!
i didnt openet the MBP! but i want to buy one! and already doing the notebook pad with the fans.
and one more question!
is the heat pipes leing directly on the botom case of the MBP? so that case is like a huge heat sink? im woring about temperature of it! because i will do video editing on the final cut studio 2 with all the components.
and buy the way! what do you thing about this deal?
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8546454

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
hey!
i didnt openet the MBP! but i want to buy one! and already doing the notebook pad with the fans.
and one more question!
is the heat pipes leing directly on the botom case of the MBP? so that case is like a huge heat sink? im woring about temperature of it! because i will do video editing on the final cut studio 2 with all the components.
and buy the way! what do you thing about this deal?
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8546454

That deal is good, but it's cheap because it's not a Penryn Processor/chipset. You can tell by the 256 MB Graphics (the Penryn one comes with 512) and the smaller hard drive (160 GB vs 250GB). The model in your link will also lack the multi-touch trackpad. If you can live without those features, then it's a great deal!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The hard drive is not a problem for me! i will use it only with external 1tb WD hdd thru the firewire. i think i will buy it!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
my macbook reaches only 70 degrees at max ( only had it for 5 days)
but when it just internet its around 50

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 Core 2 duo, Alienware 7700 3.2ghz, Iphone,Imac g5,Powebook 15" 1.5ghz
no they all get that hot macs are not great with there cooling systems any q's let me know

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.