Help an iNoob out???

Reaction score
I appreciate any help you can offer.

I have recently dipped my toe back into the world of Macintosh after several years working on XP and Linux.

My Aunt asked me to help her get a 17 inch iMac g4 working for for the grandkids, and I was successful in doing a fresh install of 10.4.1. I picked up an Airport Extreme card on Ebay as well.

Today, I received the Airport Extreme Card, and it is not being recognized as installed when I plug it in. All it seems to be doing is generating heat.

I can run the Airport Setup Utility, but it says that the card is not installed.

I am wondering if I am missing a step or if I just got a bunko card.

The card snaps into place fine and the antenna plugs right in.

Can anyone help me with this please??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I appreciate any help you can offer.

I have recently dipped my toe back into the world of Macintosh after several years working on XP and Linux.

My Aunt asked me to help her get a 17 inch iMac g4 working for for the grandkids, and I was successful in doing a fresh install of 10.4.1. I picked up an Airport Extreme card on Ebay as well.

Today, I received the Airport Extreme Card, and it is not being recognized as installed when I plug it in. All it seems to be doing is generating heat.

I can run the Airport Setup Utility, but it says that the card is not installed.

I am wondering if I am missing a step or if I just got a bunko card.

The card snaps into place fine and the antenna plugs right in.

Can anyone help me with this please??

I would reseat the card and make sure you've gotten up-to-date on software updates (Apple menu => Software Update) just to ensure the driver is installed. If the problem persists, my bet is you have a bad card.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I got a second card today, (finally) and no luck. I have seated/reseated, and done updates.

Now, when the machine was shipped from NY to Michigan, they left the speaker plugged in, which toasted that input. I am wondering if it could have damagaed more than just that??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.