Sleep or Shutdown?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
There is never really any reason to turn it off.

Reaction score
It's kind of a personal choice. There's no real harm in just putting to sleep all the time, but I like to shut down my Macs if I know I won't be using it for a while or if I haven't shut down in a long time. Some things only get cleared out when you shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I never shut it down, unless I have no choice or when I know I won't use it for a few days.. But that never happens :p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
I also simply close the cover. Only when I am traveling with my MBP, do I shut it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think about 0.2watts

But at the mo I work for a German company (Bosch).

In the office they have someone go round after people leave, and if your computer is still on they leave you a little note to tell you to shut it off.

In Europe alone Bosch says it saves several hundred thousand euros a year by shutting down desktops when not in use.

That said, their crappy HP PCs (I am not dishing PCs, just the ones the company has, my G5 is one of the most powerful in the building!!) probably use a load more energy when idle than your macbook

Reaction score
I think putting it to sleep helps save power, not sure. Anyway I just put my macbook and even my PCs to sleep when they are not in use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i use to always shut down my mb when ever i was going to and from work, as time moves on i find myself just closing the lid and putting it to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Unless an update or something requires a restart I just sleep it. I can literally leave my macbook pro in sleep mode for days without a significant power loss. I heard it was about 2% every 6 hours or something crazy like that...but not exactly sure....all I know is it's a very lower power loss. And it's so much nicer just having it sleep then to completely shut it down

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.