12" or 14" screen?

U

UnderOath

hey guys im debating on whether or not to spend the extra cash and get the 14" screen iBook. i dont know if this would help or not.. but could someone with a 12" iBook and someone with a 14" iBook post up shots of the screen size? maybe it wont work... but either way, what are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Do you have an Apple Store or a CompUSA? If you do just go check them out, I don't own one but if I did buy one, it would be a 12in. The screen resolution is the same and I can see the 12in screen just fine, and the 12in is considerably smaller which is a huge plus.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Unless you are really blind, then get the 12". The only good reason to get the 14" is for the bigger hard drive. With the money you save by getting the 12", you could get some upgrades like more RAM and a bigger external hard drive. Plus, it's lighter and more compact which makes it easier to carry around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
Get the 12". I got it and have seen the 14" and I'm glad I bought the 12".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The only problem I have with your argument is getting the external HDD. By tying yourself to an external drive, you start to limit the portability of the iBook itself. My advice would be to go for the 14 inch and get the biggest HDD you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Get the 12".

The resolution of both the 12" and 14" is 1024x768, so there's no difference there. The 12" is fine, and more portable not to mention quite a bit cheaper. The only reason I can think of to get a 14" is if you are a Web/Graphics Designer. More so Web Designer, as you need to accurately see your website presenation and how it will look on users' screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I try the Powerbooks everytime I go to the Apple store. I have enough time on the 12's that I will get a 12 when I get my Powerbook

Reaction score
You can order a 12in iBook with an 80gb hard drive, same max size the 14in iBook can be equiped with.

OP
U

UnderOath

sweet, thanks guys. I dont have an apple store, and the prices at compUSA and best buy are much higher i was just curious what you all thought. thanks for all the responses.

OP
C

code777

well i got the 12" over the 14" - i added more RAM (total of 512) and bought a D-Link BT, and a laptop bag. I sat at the apple store for about 1hr staring at the 12 and 14. yes the 14 you can see a little more but it didn't really make much difference. If you need a large HDD then think about the 14 but since you can order a 12 w/a large HDD a 12 might be the answer. Like the sales kid said at the apple store, "The 12" iBook is by far the best seller since the upgrade, we can't keep them in stock"

best bet is to get to a store to compare.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

baggss said:
The only problem I have with your argument is getting the external HDD. By tying yourself to an external drive, you start to limit the portability of the iBook itself. My advice would be to go for the 14 inch and get the biggest HDD you can afford.

Personally, I wouldn't really be bothered carrying around more than 30GB of data on me the whole time. I will probably keep my music and documents on the laptop but with things such as videos and other stuff I may not use often, then I'll just simply plug it into the external hard drive and do whatever. It's not like you are gonna need your external HDD 100% of the time anyways. I guess it's just down to your own personal needs. Some people like to download GBs of stuff and just leave it on the hard drive, quickly filling it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.