Any good Games made for Mac?

Reaction score
I am looking to get a good "take over the world" game like civilization or Rome type. Seems that most are made for windows and don't have any mac information on the box indicating if they will work.

I have a 2.2Ghz Intel Macbook running 2 Gigs of Ram. Any ideas on a good game like that. Or even a warcraft type game...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
I am looking to get a good "take over the world" game like civilization or Rome type. Seems that most are made for windows and don't have any mac information on the box indicating if they will work.

I have a 2.2Ghz Intel Macbook running 2 Gigs of Ram. Any ideas on a good game like that. Or even a warcraft type game...

well there's batlefield 2142, which might not be able to run (system requirements). teres always the old age of empire games and starcraft...:Sleeping:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
check out freeciv.org

basically an opensource and very good copy of civilization that won't make your macbook break a sweat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
And for other ideas, pick up a recent copy of MacFormat magazine at your nearest newsstand/bookstore. They have a whole section near the back dedicated to Mac gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
You could even check out bestbuy.com. A lot of the bigger games are made for mac nowadays

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
check out freeciv.org

basically an opensource and very good copy of civilization that won't make your macbook break a sweat.

Second this.

You might also like LinCity. A freeware SimCity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I think AOE is for mac now. Thats probably the best "take over the world game" out there. Although its not really what your looking for, WoW is probably the best game out there for mac.

RoosterTeeth Parody of Mac Gaming Haha I love this video...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Could I play WOW on my iMac? see my iMac details to the left:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Definitely. My MBP has same specs, except smaller HD and Screen and gets 75 FPS average walking around questing with max settings. Gets up to 150 at times in low areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thanks:) Now I will go play, first time player too but it's my type of game

Definitely. My MBP has same specs, except smaller HD and Screen and gets 75 FPS average walking around questing with max settings. Gets up to 150 at times in low areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Disclaimer: Before you play, ask yourself

Do you have a Life:

If No, go ahead, play the game you will have fun

If Yes, stop, don't play. You will lose your life and grow a beard and long hair and start talking in interesting lingo. slash end antiwow rant

Reaction score
Hearts of Iron 2 and its expansions Dooms Day and Armageddon are definitely take over the world games. If you like WW2, dont mind terrible graphics, and are into the strategy and diplomacy side of war as well as the basic running of your chosen country this is your game. It is also real time, which makes it epic.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=255

And my favorite has been Europa Universalis 3, which is a relative to HoI but set from 1453-1789. This game is more set on the diplomatic side of things, but it is still possible to take over part of the world.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=323

These games and all the other titles made for mac by Paradox Interactive can be bought at any number of sites, I use http://www.vpltd.com/index.php?cPath=1&main_page=index But the games can be bought hard copy from Amazon or an electronic superstore (like Fry's (dont know if any of you know what Fry's is unless you live in Oregon, but its amazing and huge...)).

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I tested
Age of empires III - Runs OK + Widescreen
The Sims - Runs OK + Widescreen
Postal 2 - Runs OK, but there is not Widescreen resolution

On my macbook 2.4Ghz White, I actually thought it couldn't play games at all but this is pretty impressive even tough it can't be set to highest settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there one i don't have?
AOM is A-1

age of mythology is by far one of the best of the warcraft type genre, and only 20 bucks to boot. age of empires III is another but much more expensive at about 110. world of warcraft battle chest and the new lich king is about an 80 dollar bundle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.