Edirol UA25 in garageband

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Some help would be greatly appreciated here; I'm pulling my hair out....!

I am using an Edirol UA25 as my interface for recording my 'real instrument' into garageband.

I have set all the 'preferences' for Edirol UA25 and the system seems to recognise it ok. The problem is that when I am recording a 'real instrument' track - the recording level slider will not move - it is greyed out. The result is that my volume is low - and I when I turn up all the volume knobs on the UA25, it abvioulsy sounds very fuzzy.

Can anyone help please - how do I make the sound less fuzzy, how do I make the recording level slider to move up in garageband (and how do I get my headphones to record in two ears)

As you can see lots of help needed here. Im a realative newbie but I am sure I have done all the funamentals correctly.

Many thanks in advance. ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
What are you trying to record? Is it a microphone? a guitar? keyboard?

That might help because some mic's will need phantom power (48v).
I don't use Garageband, so I have no idea what it means when it's "greyed out".

OP
S
Reaction score
Hiya
Im trying to record guitar.
By greyed out I mean that it doesnt let me alter the settings at all - it is not responding.
Incidentally, what does phantom mean and how would I go about doing that. Many thanks for your speedy reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To put it simply there are "dynamic" mics the provide their own "power" and don't need phantom power.
Condensor mics generally need power provided. If you look at the back of the UA25, you will see a phantom switch at the top right. You shouldn't need this for a guitar plugging straight in, though.

There are several switches on the back of the UA25 ... You might try all the different settings to see if anything works well.

Just to ask a dumb question... You changed all of the preferences IN garageband right? If you only did it in System Prefs, that would be a problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
hi,
yes i did do that.
I dont quite know what has happened but i turned my comp off and on again and it all seems to be working just great!

Many thanks for your help.

All the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha... When in doubt, REBOOT! lol. I'm glad all is working well. There is nothing worse than having everything plugged in the right place and it's not working right!

Have fun!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.