Retagging externally stored files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hello.
Can anyone explain why, when I retag any files stored on my external hard drive (where I keep all of my MP3's), it doesn't actually change at base level, but if I drag them onto my internal drive and retag it does?
I am using iTunes to do this, and selecting the files individually (or globally if it's an entire album title).
It just seems strange, and is a royal pain in the bum, as I have to remove them from iTunes, reselect the import to iTunes library option, retag, move the files back to the external, deselect the import to iTunes library option, and then drag them back from the external drive. Long winded I think you'll agree.
If I do the retagging with the files on the external still, it shows as being done in iTunes itself, but if I remove them and import again, they revert back to the original badly tagged file.
Any ideas? Thanks!

(Ps: I wasn't sure where to put this, so please move it if it should be in the software section)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
is your external from a pC and formatted in Windows NT file sytem (NTFS)

and have you set-up iTunes to use that external as the source for all of your music, or have you just deselected (let iTunes manage my library)

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
is your external from a pC and formatted in Windows NT file sytem (NTFS)

and have you set-up iTunes to use that external as the source for all of your music, or have you just deselected (let iTunes manage my library)

No, the external is formatted for Mac, and iTunes is set so that it does not import to the iTunes Library. The only time it does is if I import a cd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.