Renaming iPhoto files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi all. I am hoping someone can help with something I can't seem to fathom at all! Apologies in advance if it's long winded or has been answered (I couldn't find it)

When I import my photo's from the camera, iPhoto automatically lists the photo titles as Pict001.jpg etc, and that is the root title for that photo. This is fine when keeping the photo's from each import in separate events.
My problem arises when I want to either burn discs from several different folders on to one disc, or export the photo's to a picture frame from example.
You cannot have 2 photo's with the same title on the same disc/storage device, so if there are 2 files titled Pict001.jpg for example ,it asks if you want to replace the existing file.
I have tried renaming the photos to just 1,2,3 etc, but this does not alter them at root level, as when you try to export the same occurs.
So, is there any way of changing the root title of the file, or is there another way around this silly problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Kevriano,

Have you tried opening iPhoto and clicking on the filename? When the filename turns orange, re-name it...

Or are you looking for re-naming large groups or something else?

Noel

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Kevriano,

Have you tried opening iPhoto and clicking on the filename? When the filename turns orange, re-name it...

Or are you looking for re-naming large groups or something else?

Noel

Yeah I've done that, named them by title etc, but at root level it retains the jpg title the camera has given it. An example would be the rename saying 1, but if you click "get info" it still says Picto204jpg.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Answering my own question a bit here!
As a work around to get the files onto a picture frame/card etc. I renamed them all as 1,2,3 etc. and then selected export from the file menu.
From there you can select to export by filenme or title, so I chose title, and then selected the card icon on the desktop to export to.
It worked fine, with one or two failed transfers, but this is a long winded process if you have 2 or 300 files to transfer!
Better to change the names before import I think. A pparantly it's possible if you use image capture to import, and then transfer into iPhoto.
I will try it next time and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Do NOT rename the files in the library in finder! iPhoto (app) will not be able to find them and will become useless. Do your renaming in the app itself, and then use the export function to export to a folder on your desktop for your external storage device/frame, etc. Besure to check the box asking about keeping the name of the photo and it will export along with the photo.

If you feel you MUST have the files in finder renamed, then, yes, you must use some other import function (Image Capture or such), rename them, and then import into iPhoto. This really is not necessary, though if you just name them in the app, then export. Saves lots of time and effort. Not to mention disk space!

Stay out of the library in finder!

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do NOT rename the files in the library in finder! iPhoto (app) will not be able to find them and will become useless. Do your renaming in the app itself, and then use the export function to export to a folder on your desktop for your external storage device/frame, etc. Besure to check the box asking about keeping the name of the photo and it will export along with the photo.

If you feel you MUST have the files in finder renamed, then, yes, you must use some other import function (Image Capture or such), rename them, and then import into iPhoto. This really is not necessary, though if you just name them in the app, then export. Saves lots of time and effort. Not to mention disk space!

Stay out of the library in finder!

Yes I understand that, thanks, but the solution I posted is soooooo long winded. I hate the fact that you can't simply drag and drop to the device you want to use, because if you have 2 photos titled the same at root level (from 2 different flash cards for example), you can't do it. Renaming them on import is just as much of a pain to be honest, especially if I have been on holiday and have 4 or 500 to do!
Surely there must be another way, or maybe even an alternative program from iPhoto, as it is very processor intensive anyway.
Any ideas? Ta!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I guess I'm not following what you want to do. If you want to export them, do not do it from the root level. In iPhoto, you have probably named the photos with something descriptive. If you use the export command in the iPhoto app, that title will stay with the photo, not the root name. Same with dragging them to the desktop or device or whatever. No need to go to the root level at all. There is NEVER a reason to go to the library in finder (root level). Everything nd anything that you would want to do to/with your photos can be done from within the app.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm not following what you want to do. If you want to export them, do not do it from the root level. In iPhoto, you have probably named the photos with something descriptive. If you use the export command in the iPhoto app, that title will stay with the photo, not the root name. Same with dragging them to the desktop or device or whatever. No need to go to the root level at all. There is NEVER a reason to go to the library in finder (root level). Everything nd anything that you would want to do to/with your photos can be done from within the app.

Not so when dragging them. As said, if you have 2 photo's with the same root title like pict001.jpeg, you can't put both on to the same device. You can have them in separate folders/events in iPhoto yes, but as soon as you want to move them to something external, you are stuffed, unless you keep them in separate folders, but this doesn't work on a picture frame/flash card.
Retitling 400 photo's just to be able to export them by title name, is a real chore! There must be a way around it, or is iPhoto and Apple really that intent on you keeping thier archaic filing system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.