OSX Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird?

Reaction score
Why and why not? I have always liked Thunderbird but the OS X Mail program doesn't seem too bad.

Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why and why not? I have always liked Thunderbird but the OS X Mail program doesn't seem too bad.

Any suggestions?

I like them equally. Personally, I started with Thunderbird, but eventually switched to Mail since so many people here spoke kindly about it. I like it about the same - it's really just a personal preference type of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally prefer Thunderbird for the Extensions, not to mention the fact that I was able to carry over my Thunderbird profile, and consequently thousands of pieces of mail, from my Windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I'm with CWA on this....I like them both and they both have good and not as good points.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also like them both. On my PC's I use Thunderbird but on my OSX machines Mail. I just like the simple interface of Mail and how it integrates with OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
yeah...i used to use thunderbird on my pc but the integration with mac with mail is awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have used both, but I prefer Thunderbird because it uses the industry standard MBX format for its mail. This means that you can import that mail into just about any mailer out there that supports MBX (and most do). The upshot? You are not "locked in" to Thunderbird long term. You can change your mailer like you change your browser if you get tired of it.

Mac Mail on the other hand uses a proprietary format for its mail. While you can export mail out of it and into MBX eventually, it is not straightforward for large volumes of mail. For this reason alone, I prefer Thunderbird.

Thunderbird has one more major benefit - it is platform independent. This means that I can (and I do) copy all of my Thunderbird mail folders to an external hard drive and drop them onto my Windows box or my Linux box and have Thunderbird there work with them happily. Hence, a Thunderbird user is not even tied into any particular computing environment (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.) for access to their email.

Thunderbird features unparalleled flexibility as you can see. It is also hugely feature rich, which makes it a great mailer overall.

I have both Thunderbird and Mail.app set up on my machine, and I occassionally use Mail.app, if only to get the background stationary (a feature that Thunderbird does not support). In the end, I use Thunderbird for most of my emailing, but now and then I use Mail.app and just cc: myself on the outbound mail so as to get a copy of it into my main Thunderbird email stash. Perhaps you should do the same thing. Then you don't have to decide which one - you can work with both for a while until you decide.

Reaction score
Does Thunderbird support FileMakerPro scripting to attach files to emails, and auromatic email sending?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.