reformatting windows xp on bootcamp but cd won't boot

Reaction score
hey guys please help me out
i've been looking/trying different things for hours but still to no previal.

here is my situation:

i need to reinstall my windows on my mac with boot camp because it's got a deadly virus that i could not get rid of ... so this is what i did....

on windows, i inserted my windows xp disc into my drive, clicked on startup disc and selected the windows xp disc to boot. when the system restarts itself, i got a black screen telling me to 'press any key to boot from disc'. i thought i was okay until i pressed a key but instead of booting up with the disc, it skips it and starts windows up.

anyone know what the problem may be?
could the problem be my out-of-date firmware on my mac which omits the system to boot from a disc?

much appreciated for reading
thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What makes you think the firmware on your machine is out of date and doesn't support booting from a CD\DVD disk? Can you boot your machine with your OS X install disk?

Have you tried booting the machine with your Windows disk by rebooting from OS X to Windows? (via system preferences, startup disk)

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
yeah booting with the os disc works so i guess its just my winxp disc that my system is rejecting. booting back and forth btw mac and windows is no problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
yeah booting with the os disc works so i guess its just my winxp disc that my system is rejecting. booting back and forth btw mac and windows is no problem

Clean the CD and try again. If your original Windows XP disk is somehow defective you can try to burn another from your copy. It's not against the EULA to do that provided the copy is legal and has not been installed on another machine. Make sure you have the original PID.

Also, if it's a MS boxed copy of XP, you may be able to call them and ask to send you a new copy. You would not need to purchase another license as long as you still have the original. At one time MS provided replacement disks for a nominal fee if you were the license holder and it was a MS sold copy not OEM.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.