frustrated: can't record vocal in garageband

Reaction score
Should be simple, right? Here's what I do: I plug a microphone into my griffin imic's "mic" jack. I select "imic" as the sound input in my ibook's system preferences. I open a new file in garageband. I press the record button and speak into the microphone. I play it back. All I hear is a metronome. I try again. Nothing but metronome.

I tried the same steps with my internal built-in microphone. Same disappointing results.

Through it all I see "grand piano" listed up in the upper left corner of the Garageband window. I don't know how to get rid of it. Not sure if there is some kind of track I'm supposed to select for vocal/microphone.

Am I missing something in terms of steps to take?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Fireape

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just tried it with my built in Mic on my iMac. I added a new instrument. You select Real Instrument and NOT Software Instrument. I Hi-lighted it and hit record. Recorded my voice just fine. Hope that helps. Mine is not the very latest GB.

OP
F
Reaction score
Helps indeed!

That was exactly what I needed to read. You've brought me sonic peace, Soulwar.

Thanks so much.
Fireape

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks too, dtravis7

Your comment lines up with the link Soulwar provided. This is great. Lovin' this forum!

With appreciation,

Fireape

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
That was exactly what I needed to read. You've brought me sonic peace, Soulwar.

Thanks so much.
Fireape
It's music to my ears...;) Glad I could help!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Should be simple, right? Here's what I do: I plug a microphone into my griffin imic's "mic" jack. I select "imic" as the sound input in my ibook's system preferences. I open a new file in garageband. I press the record button and speak into the microphone. I play it back. All I hear is a metronome. I try again. Nothing but metronome.

I tried the same steps with my internal built-in microphone. Same disappointing results.

Through it all I see "grand piano" listed up in the upper left corner of the Garageband window. I don't know how to get rid of it. Not sure if there is some kind of track I'm supposed to select for vocal/microphone.

Am I missing something in terms of steps to take?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Fireape

Create a new track:

Track->New Track
select the 'Real Instrument' option and click on Create.
Double click on the new track that comes up and you should see the Track Info pane on the right.
Select Vocals and then choose an effect (or leave it at None if you wish).
Lower down on the pane there are controls to select input source, monitoring and levels.
Click on the Details to get more controls for manual effects, here you can turn your voice into that of a chipmunk or even DEATH (one for TP fans).

Sing away!

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.