Can't install OS 9, can I add second hard drive with OS 9 on it?

Reaction score
I bought a 2002 Quicksilver to replace my old QS that died. It came with Tiger installed but no OS 9. When I went to install OS 9 from an install CD it would not recognize the HD and said the HD was not mounted. I was wondering if I can add my old HD as a slave, which has OS 9 on it, without reformatting or erasing it's contents so I can run OS 9 from that drive. When I add the second HD do I just move the plastic tabs to the correct, slave, position.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I think your answer is yes, but only a guess. I did add another HD after doing Carbon copy and it did see the second drive.

Why do you need OS 9 may be a better question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Yes you can install OS 9 on a separate hard drive. Then mount is as slave. Thats what I do. To restart in it you just go to system preferences then start up disk.

Have fun with res edit!

OP
M
Reaction score
Still confused

I have Photoshop 6 that only runs in OS 9 or classic. When I do use the program in classic with a wacom tablet however there's this kind of studder or delay. I'll draw something with the pen and it takes a second or two for it to show up. I did tranfer my OS 9 systems folder via firewire from an imac to the power mac. I am now able to run classic but cannot boot up or restart in OS 9 for some reason even though OS 9 shows up in my start up folder. So I'm back to the same problem running Photoshop. I may have to upgrade to Photoshop 7 or borrow a copy from you. Right. I'm going to add the second HD regardless but I'm still confused about setting it to slave. Do I just move the little plastic pieces on the back to the slave position and install it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
The best way i found to do this is to grab your system folder from the OS 9 disc and just drag it to your slave hard drive (this doesnt work with OS X). Once it's done copying go to system preferences then start-up disk and select the OS 9 system folder. then reboot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go to the web site of the slave drive manufacturer and they will detail the jumper settings for making this a slave drive and then mount in the Quicksiklver above your current HD using the IDE and power cables provided.

OP
M
Reaction score
Success

I got the second hard drive installed successfully. I now have Tiger on the master and Panther and OS 9 on the slave.

Thanks for everyones help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.