Powerbook driving me nuts! Won't sleep, hangs when I try

Reaction score
I have two powerbooks, both purchased off lease from the same company. They didn't come with a restore CD but I'll go out and buy a retail 10.5 disk if that's a solution.

Both are 1.67 ghz 15 inch Powerbooks, the last revision ones with the 1440x960 screen and stuff. They both are having the exact same problem. When I close the lid, they will not sleep, the computer stays running. ALSO, if I manually put them to sleep, the computer hangs immediately. No kernel panic, no icon, nothing, the screen stays on and the cursor is frozen.

I'm then forced to turn them off by holding down the power button for 5 seconds, but then if I try to turn them back, the booting hangs at the grey loading screen with the spinning circle. I THEN have to run fsck after rebooting into single user mode, where it finds a bunch of errors and repairs them. Then I can boot back up, but still no sleep.

Any ideas? There's no essential software on either of them, so I'm perfectly happy to buy a copy of OS X 10.5 and wipe them and start from scratch, if that's an option and if it'll likely resolve my issue.

Any ideas? There are no USB things or anything plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
I guess the best solution is to re-install OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I have two powerbooks, both purchased off lease from the same company. They didn't come with a restore CD but I'll go out and buy a retail 10.5 disk if that's a solution.

Both are 1.67 ghz 15 inch Powerbooks, the last revision ones with the 1440x960 screen and stuff. They both are having the exact same problem. When I close the lid, they will not sleep, the computer stays running. ALSO, if I manually put them to sleep, the computer hangs immediately. No kernel panic, no icon, nothing, the screen stays on and the cursor is frozen.

I'm then forced to turn them off by holding down the power button for 5 seconds, but then if I try to turn them back, the booting hangs at the grey loading screen with the spinning circle. I THEN have to run fsck after rebooting into single user mode, where it finds a bunch of errors and repairs them. Then I can boot back up, but still no sleep.

Any ideas? There's no essential software on either of them, so I'm perfectly happy to buy a copy of OS X 10.5 and wipe them and start from scratch, if that's an option and if it'll likely resolve my issue.

Any ideas? There are no USB things or anything plugged in.
A little odd for them both to have the exact same problem...
Is there any 3rd part software they have in common?

You'll need a install disk eventually, so buying Leopard is a good idea. I'd agree with a reinstall as well.

In the meantime, you can try some basic maintenance and troubleshooting.

Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/repairprocess.html
http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeee-haw, deleted 10.4, installed 10.5, and it's golden. I'm just posting this so anyone else running into the same issues can see a potential fix.

One thing I noticed was that they were all formatted in UFS. I mean, I doubt that was the issue, but holy crap, it's a miracle ANYTHING worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.