Trash won't Empty 1 Item

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I am a new user but I haven't had a problem with emptying trash till now. I have 1 uninstalled item in the trash that won't be removed. It is from a game called Agathe Christie Peril @ Endhouse which I downloaded for my wife. When I click on empty trash I get this pop down message: Emptying trash cannot be completed because "atn_quit.png" is locked. To empty everything in the trash including locked items,press option key while selecting empty trash. I tried that and it still won't get rid of that 1 item. I just now found a folder using spotlight and I see a folder for that game that reads " _63696e6479.dat". I just put that into the trash now I can't empty that one either, so now I have that in the trash along with this one Agatha Christie - Peril at End House
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for a reply.
20" alu iMac running leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Go to finder. Hold down alt (option) and select empty trash. This should clear it out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One quick thing to try is Right Click (Control-Click on a Notebook) on the file that will not delete and click on Get Info. See if Locked has a check mark by it. If it does, uncheck it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trash won't empty 2 Items

Well thanks for the replies but I tried both suggestions and they didn't work. So if I can't get rid of those two files, where could I just put/save them to get them out of the way?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am a new user but I haven't had a problem with emptying trash till now. I have 1 uninstalled item in the trash that won't be removed. It is from a game called Agathe Christie Peril @ Endhouse which I downloaded for my wife. When I click on empty trash I get this pop down message: Emptying trash cannot be completed because "atn_quit.png" is locked. To empty everything in the trash including locked items,press option key while selecting empty trash. I tried that and it still won't get rid of that 1 item. I just now found a folder using spotlight and I see a folder for that game that reads " _63696e6479.dat". I just put that into the trash now I can't empty that one either, so now I have that in the trash along with this one Agatha Christie - Peril at End House
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for a reply.
20" alu iMac running leopard.

Have you tried doing a full shutdown and restart and then emptying?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I just go to terminal and type this in and it always works for me

rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
Yes, this worked for me when I faced a similar situation recently.

Reaction score
i found that if i did the right click get info (which to do you might have to move the item to the desktop to do -can't remember) anyway right click get info then uncheck the LOCKED option (I think its locked!) and then back in the bin and empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I have an app called Force Empty Trash. Works like a charm!

Reaction score
A previous post of mine on deleting locked files:

Log into an administrative account, go to Applications - Utilities - Terminal. Enter the command sudo chflags -R nouchg , making sure you include the space. Then drag the files to the terminal window, so it says chflags -R nouchg /Users/UserName/Folder. Press enter and enter your password (by the way your password won't show up as you type it). You should be able to delete it then.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to everyone trying to help, but I used that app Force Empty Trash that iLindzo suggested and it worked great. Thanks to all that responded. Sorry late in getting back to you all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.