Copy/Paste icons into Get Info

Reaction score
Hello,

When I copy/paste a custom icon into a file's Get Info box, the quality of the result depends on where I copied from. If I copy from the Get Info box of another file, then everything looks good. But suppose I have an .icns file I want to use, but no other file is yet using it? How can I paste /that/ into the Get Info box? I tried opening the .icns file with Preview and copying from there, but when I paste I get lots of nasty artifacts in the image, and also I lose transparency in the space around the image, so it shows as a square. This happens whether I copy the main image or use the Drawer to copy one of the smaller images. Any idea how I can cleanly get an .icns file into the Get Info box?

Thanks,
Paul

Reaction score
you'll want to download icns2icon. It's a very simple program that will allow you to do just that. It puts the information of the icns file into the actual icon for that file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.