.dmg files ... do I need those ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
After downloading and installing some Mac applications, I now have a number of .dmg files sitting in the downloads folder.
The apps. are fully operational and I was wondering if I still needed the .dmg file that came with each application, or can I safely send them to the bin :Oops:
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
nah, not really. but to be safe, back them up onto DVD and then trash them. thats what i do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After downloading and installing some Mac applications, I now have a number of .dmg files sitting in the downloads folder.
The apps. are fully operational and I was wondering if I still needed the .dmg file that came with each application, or can I safely send them to the bin :Oops:
Cheers

Your choice of course. I keep mine in a separate folder and then later burn them to an archive DVD+R. I do that in case I should ever have to reinstall. I have both OS X and Win programs archived that way. Never know when you might need them again. :)

Regards.

OP
McBie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Thanks guys,
I have the .dmg files in Time Machine, so I can get them back should there be a need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
The .dmg files are just like installer files under windows.
They create a mounted drive.
If you have a fast internet connection then don't bother keeping them because they will be outdated next time you install them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB
MacFanBoy, I disagree, you never know when your gonna need those installs again? McBie didn't disclose what applications he dowloaded? Those apps may not be there next time you go back. I would recommend definitely keep those files on a DVD or even CD-R for good measure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.