Stuck in clamshell mode? and monitor problems...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently had a Superdrive installed on my 2004 iBook G4, and when I got it back, the computer does not go to sleep when I close the monitor. It's no big deal--I can just manually put it to sleep before closing the monitor, but it is a bit strange...:Confused:

Also, just before I took it in, there are these two ghosty-coloured solid lines across the monitor about a third of the way down from the top. When they first appeared they were moving a bit like it was an archive...but now they're just solid light bluish-white. If the pixels were dead, the lines would be black, so it can't be that, right? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook1.83GHzC2D 4GB Ram 320GB HDD DL Superdrive iMac C2D 2GHz 3GB Ram 1TB HDD DL Superdrive
The technician probably forgot to replace the magnet that sits on top of the superdrive.
This magnet activates sleep mode when you close the lid.

The video issue could be the graphics processor. Try your hardware test DVD.

This link may help
http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/

OP
B
Reaction score
I already reset the PRAM, NVRAM, and PMU, so I ruled that out. The magnet is something I had considered myself, and that's probably it. I'll try the hardware test DVD. Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
By the way: is there somewhere I can get one of those magnets and just put it in myself? (I've taken my iBook apart before and know where it goes)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.