Archetectural drawing software?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm in the process of extending the existing deck on the back of my home, nearly doubling it in length and relocating the stairs that lead to it. I've already spoken with a number of contractors and gotten widely varying quotes. What's interesting is that I keep finding that the smaller contractors that come in much cheaper, are not keen on applying for a building permit themselves.

I can save a good bit of money by simply applying for the building permit myself, but I am in need of a way to draw an overhead and elevation plan for both the existing and planned structure. I'm sure there's got to be an easy tool out there that basically works like drawing on graph paper (sort of like Microsoft's Visio for Windows). It doesn't need to be anything complex like CAD, but just enough to get my point across (and possibly with measurements and/or drawn to a certain scale).

I ran across Google SketchUp, but it seems like it's more aimed at 3D than 2D and I can't seem to get it to do what I want it to.

Any suggestions on software that might help in performing this task?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found OmniGraffle, which is similar to Microsoft Visio. I like it very much, but its not cheap at $99 (and I really won't need to use it other than for this project). Does anyone know of a freeware/open source solution - it doesn't need to be as powerful, but as long as I can sketch shapes on graph paper and insert text into those shapes, that will do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have to admit, I immediately thought of sketchup. I use it for designing furniture for the most part, so the 3d aspect of it is good for me. I have no solution to your 2d drawing software, but I'm interested in what you find :)

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm looking at NeoOffice's "Draw" application - it doesn't have grid lines, but it's workable. I'll have to see what Inkscape can do too - I haven't looked at that one in some time. I was really hoping to find a cheaper alternative to Visio, as that looks like it's about as close to what I'm looking for as can be.

Punch! makes a Mac version of their architecture/home planning software, but it's like $149... which is just outrageous to me since the Windows versions of its software run around a 1/3 of that (depending on whether it's considered "pro" or standard). I would entertain something for $50, but $100+ is ridiculous. This is such a basic draft that I need to make - it certainly isn't worth that kind of money.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.