Quad Vs. Dual

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am kind of new here and in a rush but a quick question

Is Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors better than One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor

If you guys can let me know quickly that be great

Thanks

Jawad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
edit: wait... I'm dumb. I misread, I thought you said single core.. haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The single quad core is better. The new Xeons feature more on board cache, which means that the cores simply run faster. Also of course, the new Xeons are Penryns. Of and by themselves, these are reported to run about 10% faster, clock for clock, than the preceeding chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
2.8GHz > 2.66GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
********* IGNORE THIS I MISREAD THE POST *********

Wow not so fast.....

It depends on WHAT you are doing. The newer processor IS faster for the same clock speed.

Therefore a 3.0GHz processor from a version 2 pro is faster than a 3.0GHz processor from a version 1.

Therefore the newer 2.8GHz processor is faster than the 2.66GHz - nobody would argue with that BUT having 4 cores rather than 2 cores WILL be quicker IF the software is optimised for multiple cores. In an ideal world a quad core 2.66 would be the speed of a 10.64 but that is never going to happen.

Both machines would be fast machines. The 2.8 would probably have the edge in day to day running and the 2.66 quad would have the edge with some of the professional apps than are more optimised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cowasaki- the 2.66GHz is also a quad core. It would also suffer the same slow downs single and dual core apps. There is no optimization that I know of so I doubt the software is smart enough to send info to only one of the dual core 2.66GHz processors. It always sent the info randomly when I had the 2.66.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
cowasaki- the 2.66GHz is also a quad core. It would also suffer the same slow downs single and dual core apps. There is no optimization that I know of so I doubt the software is smart enough to send info to only one of the dual core 2.66GHz processors. It always sent the info randomly when I had the 2.66.

Ignore my answer I for some reason thought you were comparing a dual 2.8 and quad 2.66. I obviously didn't read the post properly. woooopsss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But what you said is right. Most apps are designed for only one, maybe two cores. All of these apps will perform better on a single dual core machine of the same speed quad core or oct core machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.