Terminal Mounting Related

Reaction score
Hey Guys, new on the forums and new to the mac world!

Anyways little background on me, I been a big Windows user and recently switched over to Ubuntu (linux).

After really loving the linux world, I bought a old crappy laptop to put linux on. Well after repeated hardware problems, basically hardware just not working 100% with linux I decided to go mac..

So now I have a macbook and I love it. My only real issue has been mounting iso's. See on linux if I had an iso I could pop into terminal and do mount -o loop path/to/iso /mount/point/ and bam mounted.

On mac I can double click it and it works great, however I have this iso that works fine on my windows pc and linux box but I can't mount it on mac. I been trying to learn the terminal commands and everything keeps failing.

When I double click it, it says not recognized. If I try to mount via terminal it asks for a block device, -o loop doesn't work?

Any idea how exactly to get this to all work? I mean its not massive but I more just want to know how for my own benefit I could just edit the iso on linux. Also I have starcraft right, ages ago I made an iso of it and recently lost my cd. So I wanted to install it on my mac via cross over. Well I double click the iso is loads up an error about the iso being damaged do I want to proceed anyway?

I click yes, and amazingly enough it loads up a mac installer?!? But its a windows cd?? Anyways I guess blizzard was amazing enough to include a mac installer on there windows cd as well.. Now my question is how can I mount this iso to show the windows content? The reason is that since it is installing it for a mac power pc it emulates it (since I am on an intel mac) so I am wondering if cross over would be faster.?

Hope this all makes sense, thanks for helping and glad to find a cool mac forum :)

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

I actually ended up just getting toast, that mounted what I needed without an issue. Just a shame because linux felt so powerful to me because of terminal. But I do like mac os x a lot and I guess "training wheels" is a small price to pay ;) Ty guys

Reaction score
Seeing as you like linux so much, you can install X11 and then some other apps using Fink or MacPorts. Run X11 in rootless mode and use KDE or Gnome or some other window manager. Just like being on a linux box and you still got the Apple gui just a keystroke away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.