Bootcamp questions and RAM capability.

Reaction score
I am not sure where this question should be asked so i will ask it here.

I am wanting to run windows using boot camp with my Macbook Pro, and I have a few questions:

- do I need my original OSX disk.

- which is best for gaming, 3D studio Max, and other image editing software; XP or VISTA? I would assume XP as it requires less system resources and has less bugs presumably.

Seen as this topic is mine I will ask this one more question. Is my macbook pro 4GB compatible? I have OSX Leapard. If I got VISTA, wold it be then? In fact if I got VISTA would it be possible to go even higher? 8GB with 2x4GB?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1) No
2) XP

What is the processor speed of your Macbook Pro? That will help us determine whether it can handle 4GB.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Kash!

You say no to not needing my OSX disk. I read that this disk is used to update all the drivers and such. Not having it just means I need to download all the updated drivers?

Here is an overview of my hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B05
SMC Version: 1.16f10
Serial Number: W8807107XAH
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought you meant during the actual Windows setup. You will need the disc afterwards. Sorry about that, I should have been clearer.

And by the specs you gave, it look as though your computer can definitely handle 4GB of RAM.

OP
R
Reaction score
I thought you meant during the actual Windows setup. You will need the disc afterwards. Sorry about that, I should have been clearer.

And by the specs you gave, it look as though your computer can definitely handle 4GB of RAM.

I will need to do a sprig cleaning to find that thing if i am thinking of bootcamp then.

As for the 4GB thing, can the Leapard handle that much? Or is it limited like the xp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Glossy Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 30gb iPod Video
As for the 4GB thing, can the Leapard handle that much? Or is it limited like the xp?

I am 90% sure it can handle that much, as it is an option in the BTO section in the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Leopard can handle 4GB no problem as it is a 64-bit OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5/15.4/4G/250G/
1. No
2. XP

Run, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction from Vista!

I have a dual boot gaming PC, (Vista Ultimate and XP Pro) and I wouldnt BURDEN a Mac with Vista if I was paid to. XP Pro is fine. No, you wont get Direct X 10, but these machines arent really powerful enough to maximize DX10 games anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.