Just got my MacBook today..

Reaction score
Looking to get everything set up (I am very anal about that kind of thing..)

Anyway, I was wondering what the best freeware Word Processing package was. I heard about something titled "Neo" or whatnot, but I thought I'd ask a community first.

I also am looking for any other essential/great applications to have. I am LOVING this computer already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
im in exactly the same position , ordered my first mac (white macbook) and should be coming soon.
anyway the same question as above ? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
From what I have heard neooffice (neooffice.org) is the best freeware word processor. I have never tried it but anytime I look at freeware programs or see people talking it about it on here it seems to be that program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
flip4mac
firefox (add ons: adblock, foxmarks, .com fixer)
adium (for iming)
alarm clock (to wake me with my itunes)
appcleaner
cube 2 (an incredible, free, mac os game - check it out if you're into gaming)
google earth
insomniaX (to keep my computer from going to sleep while lid is shut)
pandoraboy
parallels (to run a VM of windows XP)
solitaire XL
songbird (beta but awesome way to discover new music)
stuffit (for extracting compressed files)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Transmission for torrents - I tried it out today and Azureus really sucks compared to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Glossy Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 30gb iPod Video
flip4mac
insomniaX (to keep my computer from going to sleep while lid is shut)

getuptogetdown, you have officially helped me work out how to turn my macbook pro from being god to being god + 1.

because i bought the apple remote... i can use it in my room with 5.1 surround sound speakers and everything... like a super stereo :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome. I love having my remote too. A hint too...if you hold the menu button until some zzzz come up on your screen, it will put the computer to sleep if you ever have a need for it.

When using insomnia just be somewhat cautious cause it can trap in some of the heat. I wouldn't worry much unless theres a ton of programs running that will cause a lot of heat

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, he's been a great help to me too. Very appreciative!

Do you guys recommend just keeping Safari instead of getting FireFox though? I am a huge FF fan, but I find safari to be very pleasing as well.

Also, what exactly does AppCleaner do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally love firefox. I like it mainly because of the add-ons I use for it. I'm really not that big of a fan of safari.

Also...Appcleaner: When you install a program that doesn't have an uninstall file, you just drag it to a trash...but what you don't know is that program sometimes creates other files associated with it, which will just be left on your computer. But if you use appcleaner its does its best to find those extra files you won't need if you uninstall a program...I use it to uninstall anything on my mac unless it has an actual uninstall file with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.