Help with Itunes and multiple users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Hi everybody, have a few non forums that I frequent, but have just joined this one, first post.

We recently upgraded our IMAC G3 to OS Panther, runs it great, and as I am learning about how OSX is different than 9.2 I am struggling with this:

We have set it up with three users, Myself, My wife and a "visitor" login with some stripped down priviliges, and everything is great with the exception of Itunes, How do we set up our music library which is over 6 gigs to work for all of us without copying the library for each user (6 gigs times 3 user profiles is 18 gigs of just music on a 20 gig hard drive which is unacceptable not to mention not doable) Is there a way to let each user access one library of music? Im stumped. :(

Nice to meet you all, looking forward to chatting about these wonderful machines with people that appreciate em as much as we do. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In each profile, Open iTunes, select iTunes prefs > ADVANCED and point it to where the Music physically is on the HDD, then simply do a FILE > ADD TO LIBRARY and add the songs to the itunes Library Database. Try it in one account first and see if it works in them all, if not, just do it in all of them. Each account will end up with it's own Library file, but so what, they're not very big.

There is probably an easier way, but that's all I could come up with off the top of my head.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you put it in the shared folder, it should work, or go into itunes preferences and go to sharing, and click share my library and setup the options how you want.
o, and welcome to mac-forums Icicle

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
sharing only works over the network if you have your iTunes running

Put the files into the shared directory and set your iTunes Music directory (advanced tab) to the folder where you dragged all of the music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
See, I told you there was probably an easier way than mine....

OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
So what your saying monkey is if I switch it so we can change users and leave software open, I can leave I tunes running and make the library adjustments that way?

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You don't need to leave the iTunes open...Here it is step by step

Take the iTunes Music folder that has all of the music current and drag it (The folder that says iTunes Music) into the shared folder of that user.

Go to iTunes Preferences and Advanced.....Set the shared directory as the location of the music.

Go into the other users and set that directory as the location as well

Go to File -> Add to library and select that folder so that all the music will show up

OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it guys, thanks for all your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.